1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

National Tutoring Partners - What is helpful for teachers and schools?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Thorntonsj, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Thorntonsj

Thorntonsj New commenter

Thank you one and all, in advance, for replying. I really appreciate it!

I head a happy collective of very skilled, experienced and enthusiastic tutors. Once the Government presented the opportunity to help support our most vulnerable students, we were of course, 'all on board'. Roll on the NTP...

I think we're pretty sure of how to satisfy one of our customers - the children - we've done that for over 10 years and worked online, from Week 1 of Lockdown. However, in these weird times, with Covid and bubbles, I'm not so sure that we know what the current priorities are for Headteachers and teachers?

I am particularly concerned about the current difficulty of physical space in schools. Is it going to present a real headache to accommodate a troupe of tutors? If so, would you prefer online? Any preference of platform?

How would you anticipate good communication to look - before, during and after the sessions?

Finally, what of continuity - how do you think that we should ensure that gains made (as ever, the optimist) persist for the academic year and beyond?

Thanks again for your input, :).

2. Thorntonsj

Thorntonsj New commenter

Wow! That enthusiastic, guys?

3. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Senior commenter

I honestly think that headteachers are so busy trying to cope with the day to day management of Covid that sorting out tuition is very low on their priority list.
    I have also read that Covid costs are that high that some schools are having to use their tutoring money to pay for cleaners, hand sanitiser etc.

4. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

[QUOTE="littlejackhorner, post: 13270594,
    I have also read that Covid costs are that high that some schools are having to use their tutoring money to pay for cleaners, hand sanitiser etc.[/QUOTE]

They aren't doing this because they haven't been given the money yet AND they have to spend it solely on tutoring and be able to evidence this.

To get back to the original question, heads would rather use their own staff where possible and the biggest worries schools have are the safeguarding implications and how to guarantee the quality of education from the tutors.

The biggest practical problem is how anyone will effectively liaise with the tutors when the teachers are more swamped than ever.

5. littlejackhorner

They aren't doing this because they haven't been given the money yet AND they have to spend it solely on tutoring and be able to evidence this.

To get back to the original question, heads would rather use their own staff where possible and the biggest worries schools have are the safeguarding implications and how to guarantee the quality of education from the tutors.

The biggest practical problem is how anyone will effectively liaise with the tutors when the teachers are more swamped than ever.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for providing factual information about the tuition money. I'm no longer working so not completely up to date with all information. I had read a quote from one HT who said he was having to use this money to fund Covid costs.

sooooexcited likes this.
  6. Thorntonsj

Thorntonsj New commenter

"

I agree, that's going to need creative solutions. Any ideas?

7. littlejackhorner

I'm sorry but most of that quoted post was written by @sooooexcited , not me. So you might be better addressing your question to them. I'm no longer teaching, just a volunteer in schools so others will have more knowledge than me.