1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

National Strike???

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by stupidmove, Mar 1, 2011.

1. I suppose Dominie, that some teachers are becoming rather anxious that the leadership of our unions are not up to a fight.Sure anti union laws exist but we need to have debates about when and how to resist attacks on our pay and conditions.Maybe we need to see a more combative style of leadership in the EIS?

2. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

I fully understand your point about leadership and I think the salaries/conditions committees and executives of the SSTA (my union) and the EIS have shown this by organising a consultative ballot with a "Reject" recommendation.
    The membership of both unions now need to respond with a resounding endorsement of that position based on a huge turnout. 100% would be good!
    Members also need to be realistic about the situation, which is why I made the point about sprints and marathons. If we are to resist the combined efforts of COSLA, the SG and the teacher unfriendly media then we need a strategy based on an understanding that that things could get very rough and that keeping the support of parents and pupils is essential.
    If union members are worried about the position of their leaders then they should remember that the members ARE the union. Make your views known by organising school meetings of union members and pass a resolution expressing your views. (These could be joint meetings of SSTA and EIS if the members want it.) Pass the message on to your local secretaries. Alternatively, attend the next meeting of your district union association and make your views clear.