1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

National Strike???

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by stupidmove, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Who is up for it?

2. Who is up for it?

3. It's the only response possible.We need to be clever though.A strike fund needs to be raised and we need to target political supporters of these attacks on teachers.

4. I agree - it is the only response possible. This has been fermenting for a few years now. They are about to rip up Mcrone. (yet it is an agreement) New teachers (and those from the last 5 odd years) don't stand a chance. They want to cut supply wages. They want to do a hell of a lot of **** - time to stop them.
    We should coordinate with our FE and Uni bods.

5. Also stupidmoves, all teachers have to make clear to their respective unions that they want to reject all of these proposals.Lets have no truck with cherry picking.The proposed attacks our pay and conditions may unfortunately, only be the beginning.McCormack is five months down the line and who knows what gems that may throw up.

6. McCormack review - go to Chartered Teacher site on Opinion to find link to questionnaire where you can send your views to the review group.

7. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

it will not just be the threat of strike action -we have to be much cleverer than that .
    schools rely on good will to fuction ,the implementation of Cfe requires co-operation and good will,and is the governments new baby. At the moment we have a 35 contract we need to start working rigidly to that -good-bye extra -curric etc, some will find this hard but to improve things in the longer term it will be the only way -start talking in your schools about what can be done

8. Me!
    For the first time in 15 years I am seriously worried about how I'm going to survive.Finacially and mentally!

9. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Haud yer horses for a minute! We haven't even had the result of the ballots yet. (NB Plural. SSTA voted to ballot members today with a "Reject" recommendation.)
    Strike ballots cost a lot of cash and are subject to stringent legislation. For example, they are time limited and have to be renewed at regular intervals. (QV Unite the union V BA). A national strike would also require 32 separate ballots in the 32 local authority areas.
    Then there's the further response of COSLA to consider. When the
    teaching unions reject this pile of ****, COSLA will certainly try to
    impose something which may be even worse.
    We're headed for a marathon, not a sprint. And a pretty punishing and gruelling marathon at that.
    This is a time for cool heads and keeping powder dry.

10. Rubbish - let's get moving...screw them...time to rip up the rulebook and set it on fire....oooohhhh.....what about my pension?...get f.real...live a little...strike ***...

11. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

Should unions not be giving guidance regarding working to rule which I would assume could happen right away?
    For example SSTA and EIS issue clear guidelines (which I know already exist in current terms and conditions) to teachers and management that as of Monday (for example) all members intend to withdraw from all activities not in their contract.
    And full union backing should be provided for any members who feel threatened when notifying management of their intention to only complete tasks within their contract and no more.

12. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

I raised this with my union local association secretary. He said full advice would be issed to members in the event of a ballot on industrial action. We're not there yet.

13. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

One other thing to remember. The strikes in the 1980s were successful in part because they unions were smart enough to get parents broadly onside, and also because they were aimed directly at a highly unpopular Thatcher Government. Now, the electorate is a bit more sceptical about unions generally and because this strike will be directed at a less-unpopular SNP government and Labour local authorities, may get less parental support. Also, parents are now likely to be more vocal about "where does that leave me" and will be very quick to criticise teachers for forcing them to have to make childcare arrangements for those days.
    The unions have a lot of discussions and will need to get much clearer about the direct impact these changes will have on children's education before they'll get parental support this time - I don't envy them that task and think it will be nigh on impossible.

14. GuessWho

The thrust of my post was that we should be able to work to rule without waiting for a ballot and that unions could support members in this by giving us their backing.

15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

The anti unions legislations of the 80's has made sure that any sort of action has to follow the draconian rules set by said legislation to the book. I would think that work to rule is something that the unions cannot be seen backing as yet.

MsAnother likes this.
  16. GuessWho

Let's not work to rule.....we could just adhere to the actual contract we currently have!

17. catmother

catmother Star commenter

How true! The words "workload permitted" as minuted in every DM post McCrone agreement,how I remember you well and how I miss you.... Those words are never heard nowadays. CfE and a new Head of Faculty means that nothing is ever too much. Not sure how work to rule would work in that scenario? It would take a very confident person to say "no,I'm not doing this because I'm over my hours".

MsAnother likes this.
  18. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

suppose we will just need to get used to saying no

19. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Sure.The problem is,will we really all say no?

MsAnother likes this.
  20. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

No, and that is a problem indeed! Temporary staff are particularly vulnerable in this situation. We will feel pressure to still impress management whilst wanting to show solidarity with colleagues in standing up for our rights. That's actually specifically what I asked the union secretary about. I'm going to a temp teachers' meeting on March 10th. Maybe they'll have some magic solution to the dilemma!