1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

National Strategy - Year 4 Unit to Year 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nadeemshaikhuk, Mar 13, 2011.

1. nadeemshaikhuk

nadeemshaikhuk New commenter

Hi,

I am a trainee teacher and I carried out a numeracy lesson for Year 6 (low ability group) on doubling and halving (using partitioning). Having looked at the National Strategies, the subject content/topic came under "Year 4 Block B – Securing number facts, understanding shape - Unit 2" (http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/19292).
    Can someone please explain whether teaching a Year 4 unit to Year 6 (or even for eg a Year 3 unit to Year 5) is something that happens regularly or has this lesson been taught because the group is low ability. Or is this wrong altogether ?
    I am just trying to get my head round the national strategies and understanding it.
    Thanks

2. nadeemshaikhuk

Hi,

I am a trainee teacher and I carried out a numeracy lesson for Year 6 (low ability group) on doubling and halving (using partitioning). Having looked at the National Strategies, the subject content/topic came under "Year 4 Block B – Securing number facts, understanding shape - Unit 2" (http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/19292).
    Can someone please explain whether teaching a Year 4 unit to Year 6 (or even for eg a Year 3 unit to Year 5) is something that happens regularly or has this lesson been taught because the group is low ability. Or is this wrong altogether ?
    I am just trying to get my head round the national strategies and understanding it.
    Thanks

3. I have a low ability Y5 class ranging from level 2 to level 4 in Numeracy and level 1 to level 4 in Literacy.
    If the pupils need work from the y4 objectives then there is nothing wrong with doing that.
    Theres not much point in doing y6 work ifpupils don't have a basic understanding of y4 work
    I go off app grids, I pick the level 4 objective, then match a similar level 3 and level 2 objective and that is what I teach to. This week my level fours will be doing equivalent fractions and improper fractions, where my level 2's will be looking at halving and doubling, as they would not be able to access the level 4 objective

hope this helps

Miss H

4. nadeemshaikhuk

Hi,

Thanks for responding.
    Can I just quickly ask, I need to understand "the range of features of progression and attainment" for this doubling and halving lesson. Any ideas where I need to look for this.

Thanks

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You must teach to the ability of the actual children in front of you. Which means one often refers back to an earlier objective for lower ability pupils.
    The old style plans used to have for example; an average year 3 should be able to . . .. average year 4. . . year 5 . . etc. Used to be quite easy to see how to differentiate for higher/lower abilities within the class.