1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

national standards - help please

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Rosereo, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Hi, hope someone can help me out. I have to write a subject review for mfl (french) and finding it very difficult, mostly because there is so little evidence that anything has been taught. One of the sections i have to include is a comparison against national standards. Is there a 'national standard' for primary french? MFL isn't well established in our school and I expect it isn't in a lot of schools so I don't really know what Ican compare our pupils standards to. Any ideas???
    I know about the languages ladder and NC levels and can match the levels to qca scheme BUT as all our year groups are using Year3/4 units/objectives Years5/6 are not up to 'expected level' so I suppose I could use this in the report and explain. I am open to suggestions though.

2. runaway

runaway New commenter

I think you've hit the nail on the head there!
    If you have only just started and all your year groups are using 3/4 units and objectives then that's the maximum levels they'll be getting.
    I uploaded some target stickers which use all the framework objectives and are ready linked to the NC levels if they are any use to you at all https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Assessment-Target-stickers-for-Languages-Years-3-6-6012606/
    But as you've already realised, there's no point in introducing 5/6 objectives until the children have had 2 years worth of language learning - the levels are about progression and ability not what year group the children are in. So I reckon you should hang on to them and do them when the teachers and children are ready.

3. runaway

runaway New commenter

Forgot to say - if you can match the NC levels to the KS2 QCA sow you are an incredibly talented person - I can't! I think the units are all over the place and actually if you know the levels you can do just about any unit at any level by differentiating up and down!

4. Thank you. These will be useful. Just had a quick look at your blog from the link and the mfl healthcheck will be a great help when i write my report and write next years action plan - definitely need to fill some gaps. Thanks again for sharing so much.
    I assumed I could match the nc levels to qca and languages ladder, haven't actually done it yet. I think I'll just use qca objectives in the report and say things like 'Year 6 pupils are following Year 4 qca units and the majority are achieving the unit objectives'. My Head has asked me compare to national standards so I think the best way to do this is to compare with what is expected for children of any age following a specific unit because there doesn't seem to be a specific expectation for year 6.