1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

National Railway Museum

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sbyram1996, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Sbyram1996

Sbyram1996 New commenter

Hi all
    Im an RQT and my colleague is an NQT and we are planning a trip to the National Railway Museum in York. We were wondering if anybody had a risk assessment that we could look at for ideas.

Many thanks :)

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I went as a helper many moons ago and the museum sent us their own risk assessment, which would have been helpful except that it was insane! Still, might be worth asking

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

4. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

Actually, your SVC (trip co-ordinator) should do this along side you. It is much better to do it with them so ask to sit down all together and go through how to plan a trip properly.

5. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Our visits coordinator went through all the paperwork for my first trip with me. Different schools do things differently so it's best you know your school's policy. The railway museum should have a risk assessment available for you to use to help you.

Also, it's always worth doing a pre-visit to locate things like toilets, education rooms if they're available, possible choke-points and just generally orientate yourself before having to guide kids around. If you arrange this directly, it's usually free and staff members often make themselves available for questions.

6. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

Most museums have a risk assessment which they provide for schools. I'll be surprised if the NRM doesn't have one.

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

It doesn't.

"We strongly recommend a preliminary visit to familiarise yourself with the museum and identify any risks. We can't complete risk assessments for your visit, but you may find the following resources useful:"