1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

National Pupil Internet Survey

Discussion in 'Education news' started by blaniosh, Sep 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. blaniosh

blaniosh New commenter

2. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

It all seems a bit 20th century maybe even 19th

schools will be sent a survey form that will be completed in each class during the Autumn 2016 term.
    Each class will be shown a number of devices and pupils will be asked to show by raising their hand which they use at home.

Wouldn't it be better just to have an on-line survey form for people to complete ? or is that too high tech for the NAACE

colpee likes this.
  3. blaniosh

blaniosh New commenter

Thanks for the feedback. Can you clarify if you are referring to the return of data by the school coordinator or are you suggesting that pupils should carry out the survey individually or something else entirely?

4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Is thst it? Sounds like the sort of project a year 4 or 5 class might carry out in their own schools. What useful info it could possibly give schools is beyond me.

Anyway, asking teaches to fill in more forms seems an unlikely way of assuring many returns - (and as @pair_of_argyles says, somewhat old fashioned)why not a simple app that would take about 5 mins of anyone's time?

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Where can I get an internet connected dog?

blaniosh likes this.
  6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Because if it was an app then you would get a biased sample as only those with the device capable of running the app can respond? And as this is a survey about device use it would make the survey useless. If done in classtime then a far bigger and more representative sample is taken.

7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Makes sense; I was thinking about schools ising the app, but same issue I suppose. Just the irony of using so much paper to research IT.

8. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

What's the relevance of the dogs wearing cameras?

9. blaniosh

blaniosh New commenter

The last question raises a lot of eyebrows and is as much indented for schools to start discussions (and be entertained) about the increasing range of technology out there.

"These (Y1) children really don't know if their household appliances use the Internet! They love the idea of a dog collar gadget so they raise their hand, I was so entertained with their answers yesterday as most of their dogs won't even have a collar let alone an Internet collar!!"

See:
    http://www.wareable.com/internet-of...ables-trackers-and-gps-for-dogs-cats-and-more