1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

National portrait gallery

Discussion in 'Personal' started by moonpenny, Mar 6, 2010.

1. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

We had a nice day out at the National portrait gallery in London.

The ground floor has contemporary portraits and photos. On the top floor there is an Elizabethan room which is interesting.

[​IMG]
    Lady Hamilton
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    John Donne
    [​IMG]
    Catherine Parr

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

How lovely for you. What a lucky girl you are. Did your teacher take you? I think it is it is very kind of you to share these portraits with us.

3. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

I though that people might be interested in going as it is a gallery that might be interesting even if you aren't that into art....or maybe people had been and wanted to add their own favourites
    I'm not sure why it provoked such a snotty response. Who needs trolls, eh?
    Never mind. I'm sure you can come up with a much more interesting thread, like the ones you usually do...not[​IMG]

4. I liked the last two in particular - they make for an interesting contrast.
    I haven't heard of Paula Rego (?). I assumed it was Lucien Freud.

5. I liked this one, I am a fan of deLempicka.
    [​IMG]

6. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

Hi Santey,
    Yes, I really liked the Paula Rego one - it was painted in a really exciting, earthy way. Hard to explain in words.

7. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

I like that one, Fincop.

8. It might have been on tour.
    A Grand Tour in a Green Bugatti.
    I don't know where it lives the rest of the year.
    Somebodys garage?

9. One of Tamara's Lovers
    Also not in the NPG
    [​IMG]

10. I have been and it was great. We went to see a particular portrait of an American lady who taught me ballet. Really weird to see a proper portrait in a gallery of someone you knew!

11. It's always on my list of places to visit when in London. The kids used to love it too. It's so conveniently situated. You have the National Gallery next door, St Martin's for a free recital (and a sit down), the river and Trafalgar Square on the doorstep.

12. This is her... (I'm doing a link as I don't know how to put pictures on!) http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/largerimage.php?LinkID=mp18042&page=1&role=sit&rNo=3

13. like this
    [​IMG]

14. Giraffe might not like that one.

*teasing* [​IMG]

15. You a ballerina then, gembop?

16. I love visiting London....I first visited the National in 1970, when I was doing A level Art and my teacher ( a great man and inspiring teacher) organised a train trip down to 'the smoke' for us. I was blown away by all the art on display...but also a bit shaken up as the night before an ambulance had to be called to our house (we'd never had a 'crisis' before lol) as my sister was very ill...it transpired that her appendix had burst...but at the time we didn't know why she was so ill. I remember my teacher comforting me and telling me all would be well. (Funny how a place like the National can trigger such memories!) Haven't been for a few years so will re-visit when I am next down there. I have yet to visit the Tate Modern though..That's on my list of things to do...but mainly I want to walk over THAT bridge.

17. Aww thank you fincop! :)

18. Did you not know Lily? The size of me now is misleading but I danced until I got too busy with my teacher training :( Wobbly student beer legs don't make good ballerina legs! You wouldn't think to look at her in that pic that she used to poke at my legs with a cane!

19. I can sincerely state that I have never seen you pirouette into the pub. But how wonderful it is to have something to look forward to.

20. inky

inky Lead commenter

We are fortunate to live quite near to it, so we caan pop in from time to time. I always enjoy the annual portrait competition because the public can vote for their favourites too.
    Here's a favourite of mine, not for artistic reasons but because he's a fascinating historical figure [and that's the other thing about the NPG]
    [​IMG]
    This is Sir James Brooke the White Rajah of Sarawak. A dashing figure, whose story has been much told.