1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

National Music Plan

Discussion in 'Music' started by bod99, Nov 25, 2011.

1. bod99

bod99 New commenter

Clearly we weren't.
    Here it is:
    http://www.musiceducationuk.com/read-the-plan/

2. bod99

bod99 New commenter

‎"some music teachers in
    primary schools can lack skills, while those in secondary schools can
    become professionally isolated". The reverse is equally true, in my
    humble opinion.

3. I need to digest these hubs...

4. I thought there may have been a lively debate on here about this? Could have been a lot worse? Not entirely sure about payment by pupil numbers- I think that could easily be fudged?

5. casper

casper New commenter

Well had a few issues recently and local union rep said that the largest amount of casework was from Music teachers. I went to Occ health when returning from an illness, Had grief at school. The lovely Occ Health Dr said that many teachers he sees who end up having to see Occ health for stress related illness are music teachers. He also talked about isolation. Interesting.

6. Thanks for the link,I had been eager to get a read of it. I shall peruse over the weekend!

7. OK, have read it now. All seems quite fascinating. Let's hope it improves things, because although some music services are superb, others are not so. (There is also always a huge amount of politics in music services. Perhaps this will make them pull their socks up a bit, those which are not so good, to become a hub.)

8. bod99

bod99 New commenter

I wouldn't say fascinating. I quote my brother who put it very succinctly:
    "One day someone will explain
    to me how government departments can produce a "plan" that doesn't have a
    clearly itemised timetable of things that will be done, and who is
    going to do them. This is not a plan; it's a series of ill-indexed and
    ill-ordered paragraphs."
    I do agree it might make music services re-evaluate their worth, but I can't see many other organisations bothering to go through the application to become a hub.

9. Seems like a plan to me. They don't want to be prescriptive, obviously. But there is plenty to go on. I'd say they are basically suggesting that music education/educators should be collaborative, share resources, talent and people, and the hubs oversee and ensure it happens. Sounds like a plan to me, rather than it being such a lottery as at the moment whether or not your school or area gets good music input or not. The CPD in my area for music is few and far between. And teacher trainees at present get almost zilch music input.

10. Walnut head, you are missing the point. This "plan" (which, by the way, is nothing of the sort but instead can at beast be called a 'wish list') is designed to SAVE MONEY. And to do that we are going to DO AWAY WITH MUSIC SERVICES and replace them with HUBS.
    Our school is in a Hub which is by a co-ordinator who is a Peri with an extra couple of grand to add this role to their teaching. The actual "Hub" is the three secondary schools in the area. We are now going to work cooperatively to improve the musical eduction "offer" to all the students in our schools and also our feeder primaries. A lot of this will be resoursed by the actual schools.
    There is no more money (in fact there will be less) and there certainly is no longer going to be a large music service runninght things. We lost our music advisor a long time ago.
    This is going to be schools helping other schools and working together to do what the music service used to do but now can not afford to do.
    It actually might work - but its gonna mean more work for Music teachers.

11. Some music services will carry on as hubs, and in some areas there will no doubt be companies/organisations take over and probably in some places teachers collaborating. But that can't be any worse than the piecemeal provision we have now, can it? Oh well, we shall see.

12. bod99

bod99 New commenter

What happens if no-one applies to be a hub? Or if a poor music service applies where no-one else does? Giving teachers more "freedom" over music provision, effectively means there is no minimum standard in my humble opinion. Great.

13. They will, though, I already know someone who is thinking of it (as a private enterprise). Most music services surely will as well. To be honest, there is no minimum standard now anyway, NC in place or not. If the school can do it they do, if they can't they don't.

14. We have already got hubs and coordinators appointed to run them. Our schools are all clustered-up. We have had our first meeting with our hub co-ordinator - she is on to a loosing Wicket with two grammar schools and a school with several of the leading bands in the country. None of us think we need the others, whenin fact we could do so much.
    I think the problem is that we, as music teachers, tend to work in sweet isolation most of the time - I'm a department of one. I make all the decisions. I have things just the way I like them. But that's not necessariy a good thing. And cooperation is extra work.
    But it could be a good thing.

15. I'm a bit confused. I thought clusters of schools couldn't apply to be a hub as it had to be across county li,me. USC services? Have been trying to get local schools together and it's starting to gain momentum, can we apply to be a hub and apply for funding? Sadly our music service could be better...

16. Ooh typo, should read 'across county for music services' :)

17. bod99

bod99 New commenter

tch - "why would it not be?"?! BECAUSE even in the music plan it admits that music may not be part of the compulsory curriculum after the review. Surely you are aware of this? Don't blindly assume that everyone is lucky enough to work in a school where music is valued.

18. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Indeed, it is part of the specific remit of the National Curriculum review to consider whether subjects such as music should remain a compulsory part of the National Curriculum at any particular key stage, or whether they should be removed completely.
    I wouldn't be entirely surprised if, in the worst scenario, the role of a music teacher in the future became more like that of a public school music teacher in the early 20th century. Somebody to co-ordinate the instrumental teaching service and to run some extra-curricular activities, and who spends the rest of their time doing a little one-to-one piano or guitar teaching. It's worth remembering that class music teaching is not something that happens in all countries, and it could disappear here.