1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

National Insurance number on application forms...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by easyonasundaymorning, Mar 17, 2011.

1. This week I sent an application form off for a post at a local college. On the form they are asking for my National Insurance number. It has been some eight years since I have completed an application form I was wondering if this is now normal practice? Can I assume that the organisation have a legal obligation to shred the form if I am not selected for interview? After all, I do not know who has access to it, how long or where it will be kept and they now have my identity. If I see this in future do I have a right to withhold my N.I number at this stage? Any advice would be most appreciated.

2. Forms will not always be shredded, no. We generally keep forms from people who have attended interview. Why the suspicion? Your NI number is all over the place. If you are that bothered you could always put a note in to request them to shred the form if you are not invited for interview. They then might or might not. They might also think you are weird. I would.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Amongst other things it references both your income tax and your state pension. It's not top secret.
    When you receive a state pension from DWP your reference number is your NI number. When you call HMRC about tax it's the first thing they ask you for.
    It's when the application form asks you for your debit card number that you need to get suspicious ;-)

4. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Quite. What could someone do with your NI number ? Make payments on your behalf ? They couldn't really start claiming benefits or anything like that because they'd need more paperwork and personal information.

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

But why do they now ask for it? I've noticed this too.
    Also, since 'ageism' has become illegal, forms now ask for you DoB with a proviso it is only used to verify dates given for qualifications. Surely this is just a way of circumventing the law to find out your age?

6. None of the applications I've filled in recently ask for DoB or even first names (initials only). Apart from anything else DoB may tell you nothing whatsoever about dates qualifications were acquired - I was 35 when I gained my degree.
    I don't have a problem with NI number - it's for security reasons, though there's nothing to stop someone 'borrowing' another person's number.

7. I have never been obliged to give any of that kind of information until I sign the contract and fill in the employee form for the Personnel dept. - then they need my tax number, health insurance number, date of birth, nationality, church tax yes/no, etc.
    Whilst we are not obliged to put date of birth, marital status or gender on applying for a job, CVs here have a photo as standard, so unless you are an android, it is pretty obvious whether you are male or female. Having said that, we tend to only use CVs and covering letters - I have never had to fill in an application form in my life.
    Never been an issue - I certainly wouldn't be bothered about putting my N.I. number down for a UK job (I do still have one).

8. I have always had to do this - can't say I have ever requested they shred the form afterwards either but maybe I am too relaxed.
    As others have said, it will be to check you are legally entitled to work in this country.