1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

National Insurance - don't get caught out like I did!!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Handisimo, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Hi all.
    I just want to let you all know something that happened to me.
    I recently accepted a long term contract and negotiated my daily fee. The agency then contacted me to say that if I used an umbrella company I could claim tax relief on mileage and some subsistance. I agreed to give this a go and have been quite happy. After a few weeks I scrutinised my payslips and noticed that both employer and employee NI contributions were being deducted from my weekly wage. When I queried this with the umbrella company they said that when my agency put me onto their books they should have put my daily rate up to compensate for the fact that I would be paying both lots of NI contributions. I promptly rang the agency and queried this. They tried to get out of it but it turns out they were just pocketing the extra cash! They are now going to pay me £8 - £9 A DAY more to cover these contributions. I also ensured that I would be getting back the extra I have already paid.
    Please check your slips if you think this may apply to you as agencies get paid enough without getting away with these scams.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

They expect you to pay NIC contributions and they charge you a price for processing your timesheet. Lots to watch out for.
    That's why agencies push these companies - it's cheaper for them.