1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

National Insurance credits?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by TeachLondon, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Hi, does anyone happen to know whether we get National Insurance credits while on the PGCE? Many thanks

2. You don't. If you have been in full-time work up to now, you probably have enough to qualify for JSA when you finish the course. Rules are based on National Insurance contributions you have paid over the last two complete tax
    years before the benefit (calendar) year you make your claim in. So if you want to claim JSA in July 2012 (when you finish your PGCE), they will look at record during the tax years 2009-10 and 2010-11 (which has just ended).
    There is no point in making Class 3 voluntray contribution at £12.60 a week, as you will probably have earned enough record (30 years) to qualify for full state pension by the time you retire.

3. Hi, thank you for the speedy response. Gosh I'm really hoping that I'll get a job after my PGCE rather than looking at JSA!

4. If you've worked the year before your PGCE and are not planning on working during your PGCE year you can claim you can claim a tax refund. I did this and got between £600-£700.

Ring your local tax office and explain your situation and they'll tell you what form you need to fill in. The only condition is that you don't work within a month of claimimg your tax back. If you decide you need to work after that you can.

5. Shd say tax rebate not tax refund