1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

National Insurance (Class 2)

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by clovispoint, Sep 6, 2018.

  1. clovispoint

    clovispoint Occasional commenter

    frangipani123, Fer888 and 576 like this.
  2. Helen-Back

    Helen-Back Occasional commenter

    You beat me to it.

    Great news!
    clovispoint likes this.
  3. Fer888

    Fer888 Occasional commenter

    That's excellent news- thank you
  4. ed717

    ed717 New commenter

    Does anyone still pay national insurance if living abroad, out of interest? Are you meant to/how do you?
  5. 576

    576 Established commenter

    I pay voluntary class 2 so that when I retire in the UK I have enough years t get a full state pension.
    clovispoint and frangipani123 like this.
  6. Jason_Bourne_

    Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

    How did you arrange for this happen?
  7. frangipani123

    frangipani123 Lead commenter

  8. Jason_Bourne_

    Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

    Thanks for this however it doesn't mention how to let HMRC know that you are going to be making national insurance payments. Is there a form that needs to be completed?
  9. clovispoint

    clovispoint Occasional commenter

    estrella7, frangipani123 and 576 like this.
  10. Helen-Back

    Helen-Back Occasional commenter

    Info about making up years missing;

    The Future Pension Centre can tell you what years you can make up.

    HMRC (0300 200 3500) can send out statements stating what years can be repaid and in what class.

    Once you've got that info you can send a cheque, written out to HM Revenue and Customs to the following address. On the back you need to write your NI number, the years being made up and your full name.

    Benton Park View
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    NE98 1ZZ

    Obviously, don't take my word for it, but I hope this points somebody in the right direction.
  11. roamingteacher

    roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

    I wonder if this will catch the people dodging student loans abroad...
  12. 576

    576 Established commenter

    They gave me bank account details and I did a bank transfer.

    Helen-Back likes this.
  13. Helen-Back

    Helen-Back Occasional commenter

    Huh, they didn't offer me that option.
  14. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    Its not just people abroad arent paying it back. It seems next to no one is. This was an interesting read the other day https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-45421621
  15. WatchYourTongue

    WatchYourTongue New commenter

    That's shocking (and I'm not being sarcastic).
  16. T0nyGT

    T0nyGT Lead commenter

    Couldn't think of anything worse than retiring in the UK so I never bothered setting this up
    dumbbells66 likes this.
  17. clovispoint

    clovispoint Occasional commenter

    No need to be UK resident. You receive the pension wherever you are, the money will be paid direct to your bank account overseas.
  18. 576

    576 Established commenter

    That's okay if you have the right to live in another country without working there. I don't.
  19. T0nyGT

    T0nyGT Lead commenter

    Yes but it would be the NHS benefits that would be of most interest. The pension is a pittance anyway
  20. 576

    576 Established commenter

    You qualify for NHS treatment by being resident. Not by paying NI.
    If you're not permanently resident in the UK you qualify only for medical treatment for accidents.

Share This Page