1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

National Curriculum or individual needs

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by elizabethfen, Sep 25, 2015.

1. elizabethfen

elizabethfen New commenter

Hi,

In my school (SLD, PMLD, ASD) the Head is intent on following the NC to the extent that KS3 have to study two Shakespeare plays, KS2 have to have a History lesson each week ....... I think that our pupils would benefit far more from a needs / individual interests led curriculum. For example: pupils relate better to Harry Potter than Shakespeare, looking at photos of yesterday rather than Victorian times, making their own lunch instead of 'learning how to write'. It would be great to have the time to explore more sensory preferences ..... Would love to hear how you manage the needs led / NC dichotomy.

Thanks, Liz

2. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Look up Keith Park and Nicola Gove's work on Shakespeare - It's very sensory - and ideal for PMLD and SLD work. (or PM me, I teach KS3 students working from P2 through to level 2 / 3 and do a lot of Shakespeare at the students developmental level)