1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

National 5 Requirements - Ways Around This?

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by aoifeelizabeth, Jan 31, 2018.

1. aoifeelizabeth

aoifeelizabeth New commenter

Hi everyone,

I recently applied to Glasgow, Strathclyde & Edinburgh Universities in the hopes of completing a PGDE and becoming an English teacher. This has always been a dream of mine but until now I have not been in the right position financially to do this.

I submitted my UCAS application and was so pleased with how it turned out - I really believe I am the ideal candidate, due to my undergraduate degree qualifications and my extensive experience with young people.

However, I received a rejection notice from Strathclyde on Monday night, and was stunned to see that it was because of the grade I achieved in mathematics while at Secondary School (Irish Leaving Certificate). I assumed that I would be fine in that regard because all of my research had told me that a pass in Leaving Cert maths (I achieved a C3) was the equivalent to getting your National 5. However, it would appear that I need a B3, which of course I do not have.

I am devastated. I assume this means I will be receiving rejections from both Glasgow and Edinburgh as well. Has anyone else every encountered this problem, or found a way around it? I really don't want to have to wait another year to do this - I'm 25 now, and am also concerned about how Brexit might affect my rights to live, learn and work in the UK (I am from the Republic of Ireland and have lived here for two years).
    I can't understand why such a high grade in mathematics is necessary to be an English teacher. Any help or advice would be SO much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

A

2. Mazod

Mazod Occasional commenter

Aoife,

Sadly, I don't think there is a way around your problem for this year. You will need to take an additional Maths qualification (e.g. national 5 Maths at college) in order to reapply next year.

I would get in touch with Strathclyde and other universities you are considering to seek advice on what qualification they will accept.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Because all teachers are teachers of numeracy across the curriculum. To be honest, they have dropped the standard - when I did teacher training they wanted Higher Maths. I think you can probably still aim to start this year. Contact the universities and ask about summer access courses - they often run top up equivalents.

4. ct328

ct328 New commenter

All teachers in are required to have a minimum standard in English and Maths. I have a friend who has had to do her Nat5 maths at college this year on the advisement of the admissions dept for her desired uni because it's been so long since she sat Standard Grades.

I'd email admissions departments to find out what they would want from you, and get in touch with local colleges to see how you can achieve what they're after.

5. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

I have a former pupil who has managed to get into Edinburgh, on condition that she does a distance learning qualification. (She's in a similar situation to the OP - she got a 3 for Standard Grade.)