1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

National 5 English - Critical Reading

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by halfajack, May 14, 2013.

1. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

I'm in the middle of planning for the Scottish set text section. Has anyone found any resources or had any ideas for how to teach pupils to answer the final question? The rest of the questions in the specimen paper don't seem too demanding but the final one seems, to me, to require some quite sophisticated thought for S4 pupils and it's worth almost half the marks from that section. The specimen marking instructions for it are rather vague. Any hope of some sample answers coming out?

2. There are, as usual, none. The specimen marking keys are like the recent Higher ones for the last question in the close reading- descriptive. However, although it's like the old context question at Revised Higher, pupils can get up to 14/40 by merely reading the extract printed. That's an A and you haven't even read the whole text. Upwards and onwards!

3. halfajack

At least we got exemplar answers for the Higher close reading questions. I think examples of what they're looking for are essential to teach the pupils how to answer the question effectively. I don't understand how 14/40 equates to an A.

4. Sorry, 14/20. As you should have known.

5. halfajack

Ah, sorry. Just that the total paper is out of 40 and you were talking about the number of marks to be gained from understanding of only the extract. There is still the essay.