1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

National 3 Physics

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by nar81, Jun 2, 2017.

1. nar81

nar81 New commenter

I was wondering if anyone can help! I work in a PRU (pupil referral unit). We offer no Science on the curriculum but this is changing come August. We are going to run a Physics course for the first time. We are going to start with CfE National 3 Physics. I am in the midst of planning the curriculum but also need to order practical equipment. Does anyone know what I should get? Obviously electric circuit boards but can anyone help and suggest other equipment I may need? Thanks in advance!

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Post on the Scotland forum.

nar81 likes this.
  3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

can't really help, because the curriculum is different here, sorry. I would imagine you'll need newton meters, magnets, springs, clamp stands, wire, rules, ramps, masses, trolleys, stop clocks, timers, bouncy balls, renewable energy kit, mirrors, prisms, rayboxes, oscilloscope( may can use an online one) vibration generator, wave tank, lamps, ear and eye models....

nar81 likes this.
  4. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Contact the physics departments of your local secondary schools. Since the exam season is now over, they may have time to discuss their S1/S2/S3 physics curriculum and show you what kinds of equipment they use. They may be willing to share their planning, which would save you hours of work as you wouldn't need to start from scratch, just adopting or amending their planning as suits the needs of your pupils. It would also give you an idea of the amount of time usually spent on each aspect of the physics curriculum.

nar81 likes this.
  5. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

nar81 and bonxie like this.
  6. nar81

nar81 New commenter

Thank you for everyone who replied and yes I should have posted on the Scotland forum! Doh!