1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nat 4 & 5 can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by lescargot, May 23, 2011.

1. lescargot

lescargot Occasional commenter

Guess how I'm spending my (wet and windy) bank holiday?
    Just looked at Nat 4 and 5 course specs for my subject and feeling a bit confused. Can anyone confirm - will most pupils have completed Nat 4 by the end of S3? Then if they choose to continue your subject they would do Nat 5 in S4? Or is the idea that the more able will complete Nat 5 by end of S3 then move on to Nat 6 and 7? Just think the courses look helluva similar for pupils to do Nat 4 in S3 and Nat 5 in S4? Or, again, is it just me??

2. holdingon

holdingon Occasional commenter

they either do 4 or 5 -not both

i am thinking of it as F/G-4 G/C-5

3. lookinglost

lookinglost New commenter

Hey, it was initially proposed that you would not do N4 or N5 until S4. There are still debates going on about whether or not you could have pupils do early presentations. You do not have to do N4 assessment (is it internally assessed for all subjects not just mine?) before you do N5, instead I believe you just work through L4 and then do your N5. This is the latest I've come to understand from information I found out a couple of months ago. Hope this helps.
    Doing Highers in S4 could have consequences on Uni entrance, as sometimes they ask for Highers to be done at one sitting. This is I believe one of the reasons why they don't like the idea of early presentation.
    I'm going to stop there as I don't want to write a massive post, if you want more info PM me.

4. The idea as far as I know remains for pupils to do a common course up to and including S3 and for the average pupil to work on Access 3 / National 4 in S4, 5 periods a week on the 30 period week, all internally assessed - no external exams. The more able would do National 5 in S4.

What may end up happening in some schools is pupils in S4-6 being in a class - numbers depending - for their level, i.e. one Access 3 / National 4 class and another for National 5 with Higher and Advanced Higher also having to be accommodated.

5. lookinglost

That seems spot on TFI, there is more a focus on stage rather than age of pupils. It is also made clear when you go looking into the LTS website that the more able pupils could be encouraged to do Higher in S4. I feel like I have an idea of what they want but I am waiting to see if they change anything again. Seems like that keeps happening just when I start to get to grips with something.

6. holdingon

holdingon Occasional commenter

some schools plan to do Nat4 and 5 from the beginning of S3 meaning they can still do 8 subjects -do we really want 15 year olds only doing 5 subjects in S4?

7. lookinglost

That was what was suggested, however, there has been a 'rethink' I believe. It's not absolutely certain yet, although I think that will be the final outcome.
    Also it's up to the school on how many exams the pupils can sit at the end of S4, and I reckon most will probably stick with 8 at N4/5 (all the schools I have spoken to seem to be following that pattern), with maybe a few changes so that exceptional students can sit their Highers early.

8. lookinglost

Horrible post. What I meant was; even after the rethink I reckon they will try and stop early presentation. That is just my opinion though, and I suppose you've got to remember there has been a massive reshaping of HMIe and LTS.

9. The talk in our place was to be quite radical and have the pupils only sitting 5 subjects. This would allow the S4/5/6 all to be timetabled at the same time and would also allow S5/6 pupils to do level 4 or 5 later on. Not sure I agree with it but do like the fact that this should stop bi-level classes. Though having mixed age classes could be worse.

10. Which authorities/schools are sticking to 8?

11. How does doing 8 fit with the recommended hours for a Nat 4/5 1 year course?

12. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

It doesn't. That's the whole point. Max 5 in one year, just like current Higher & Intermediate courses. Unless the courses are spread over two years in which case up to 8 become possible.