1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NASUWT unofficial industrial action

Discussion in 'Primary' started by vicky1976, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Our school is closed to all staff and pupils on Thursday due to the number of striking staff. As an NASUWT member, I've been told I can work from home. My ATL NUT colleagues are picketing. My Head is going to refuse to cross the picket line (hence it's closed to all staff as there's no SMT to run the school). Does this count as unofficial industrial action or is it just breaking his contract? Will it be recorded as figures of who has unofficially striked? I'm considering doing the same in order to support my colleagues but only want to do it if it's going to make a difference. Is anyone else considering doing this or heard of anyone who is? Thanks

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm not very sure what you are asking here.

Your school is closed and you are working at home. You have no need to refuse to cross any picket lines as there is nowhere to go if you did cross them. You certainly cannot join them on the picket line.

Your head has decided to close the school, which he is well within his right to do in this situation. He has also decided that he will not be able to safely and professionally cross the picket line line. This is not breaking any contract, nor is it striking, merely looking after the H&S of his staff. He may well be working at home.

3. No he's not getting paid and he's going to a local rally. I'm considering doing the same to make a stand and support colleagues. Your advice appreciated

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You cannot join strike action if your union has not voted to do so. Well obviously you can, but it is a disciplinary offence.

5. Our town council have said they'll just deduct pay not take disciplinary action. Is anyone else considering doing this?

6. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

No. I've been told I'm expected to work onsite. My head is naively expecting that there will be no picket line. If there is (and knowing my colleagues a bit better than my head seems to, I expect there will be) and I don't feel safe crossing it, I shall call him and tell him I'm working from home.

There is still time to change your union if you want to strike. It can be done in minutes online.

7. Don't you have to give 7 days notice if ur striking though?

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You don't have to give any notice at all. You could just not turn up on the day if you so chose.

9. I must admit I'm also a little confused by this thread. If you're NASUWT, then you shouldn't be striking and, if you do, you could lay yourself open to disciplinary action. If your head has told you to be working from home, then that it is what you should be doing. Surely if you attend a rally, then you wouldn't be following head's direction to work from home.