1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NASUWT supply survey results

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by MisterFlibble, May 12, 2012.

1. Just got this through this morning (haven't got round to cancelling my subscription yet) - posting the link in case anyone's interested and when I get a spare second (got to get the witless greyhound to the vet soonish) I'll type up the covering letter and letter they've sent to Nick Gibb that are enclosed that I can't find online.
    They're still missing the point though - going on and on about being paid to scale, not even mentioning the existence of Cover Supervisors and thinking AWR is going to solve lots of the bother about not being paid to scale when in reality we all know what a pain in the rear it's being in terms of the "12 weeks and see ya" situation.
    http://www.nasuwt.org.uk/consum/groups/public/@press/documents/nas_download/nasuwt_009170.pdf
    Like I say I'll type up the covering letters when I get a second later this afternoon if no one else does it first.

2. OK excuse typos - trying to do this quick while the small sort sleeps. Make of it what you will - I'm just throwing it out here because it's handy for people to know what the different unions are saying (although my opinion on some of the NASUWT's stance is that it's more of a bend over and apply lubricant situation than a stance)

Covering letter:
    Dear Colleague,
    Please find enclosed a copy of the findings of the recent survey which the NASUWT conducted of supply teachers. My thanks to all of you who participated. This Report was released publicly during the NASUWT Annual Conference in April and recieved some positive media coverage.
    As a result of the survey, I have written to the Minister for Schools, Nick Gibb expressing deep concerns about the findings and seeking further discussion on those issues. A copy of the letter is enclosed (will type this up in a second).
    The NASUWT values highly supply teacher members and it for this reason that the Union conducted the survey to find out the extent of the problems being faced.
    We have been pressing for sometime for a number of key changes which would improve the position, including:
    - guaranteed placements for NQTs in their induction year to obviate the need for them to undertake supply;
    - adherence by schools to the School Teachers' Pay and Conditions Document provisions regarding cover so that teachers on the establishement of the school are not used for cover and support staff are not inappropriately deployed for cover. This will increase job opportunities for supply teachers (now this one to me strikes as "we're pushing the interests of our full-time members - let's stretch the point to try to curry favour with those supply bods" lol);
    - regulation of supply agencies to ensure, for example, that they pay supply teachers in accordance with national rates of pay and adhere to legislative provisions regarding agency workers;
    - access to quality CPD; and
    -proceedures which secure fair treatment when supply teachers face allegations about their conduct or competence
    We will continue to campaign on these issues.
    The NASUWT is organising a national seminar for supply teachers members to provide the opportunity for you to be updated on current developments in education, to provide a forum to identify and explore issues of concern to supply teachers to inform NASUWT policy development in this area and to provide an opportunity to network with other supply teachers.
    The free seminar wil be held on Saturday 13 October 2012 at the NASUWT Headquarters in Birmingham.... yadda yadda logistical stuff regarding this seminar that I can't be bothered to type here and if you're a member you'll have got the letter with that stuff in anyway.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

So no mention of the overuse and misuse of unqualified staff to cover absence then. I bet it was mentioned on a great many questionnaires in the 'any other comments' section, but of course, NASUWT permits Cover Supervisors to become members don't they?

Pathetic - keep insisting on subscription reductions folks.

4. Enclosed letter to Nick Gibb (again, excuse typos - typing this fast and my keyboard lost a fight with a glass of Coke recently so the keys stick - the words omitted and random capitalisation are the work of the union though and not my ineptitude):

Dear Nick.
    Supply Teachers
    I am writing to draw your attention a recent Survey undertaken by the NASUWT on the experiences of supply teachers.
    The NASUWT conducted the Survey after recieving increasing reports and concerns from supply teachers about increasingly adverse experiences during the last twelve months, particularly centred around the difficulty in securing work and the increasingly (how many times can we use this word in one sentence?!) poor employment practices of supply teachers.
    The Survey, conducted in February/March 2012, highlights a number of serious issues regarding employment of supply teachers.
    The Survey found that a significant proportion of supply teachers, 38% undertook supply work because they were unable to pfind permanent work. 84% of 20 to 30 year olds who responded to the survey were supply teachers out of necessity rather than choice. Not only is supply work an inappropriate introduction into a career in teaching. The failure to provide a stable base for induction is a waste of a valuable resource and the investment the taxpayer has made into teacher training.
    Almost three quarters (73%) of supply teachers reported finding it difficult to get work. For newly qualified teachers, this difficulty was even more pronounced, with 80% reporting a problem.
    68% of supply teachers reported that there had been a decline in the amount of work that they had been able to secure since September 2010. The difficulties disproportionately impact on Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) supply teachers who find it even more difficulty (seriously - did no one proof read this?!) in securing work (73%).
    53% of supply teachers work for supply agencies which are largely unregulated and appear to operate to maximise profit at the expense of supply teachers' pay and appropriate training.
    A significant proportion of supply teachers (42%) reported they were not being paid on the national pay rates at the appropriate level for their experience. Over half of supply teachers (53%) were offered roles that were not commensurate with their experience and skills.
    Almost hafl of all supply teachers who had obtained work through supplya gencies (47%) have not been made aware of their rights and entitlements under the Agency Workers Directive and are not benefitting from its provisions.
    26% of supply teachers have been forced recently to claim Job Seekers Allowance with 12% stating that they have had to claim other state benefits.
    Additionally, as an illustration of the concerns that the NASUWT has raised about the affordability of pensions (got to push that for the benefit of the full-timers guys!), 29% of supply teachers are not members of the Teachers' Pension Scheme, a figure that is much more pronounced for supply teacehrs who have qualified in the last two years (65%).
    (Going to continue this in a second post - keyboard acting up and don't want to lose what I've typed)

5. (Continued - hopefully keyboard behaves now)
    The overwhelming majority of supply teacehrs are not being developed in their roles. 70% stated that they had not had any access to continuous professional development (CPD) whilst employed as a supply teacher, and 78% of NQTs stated that they did not recieve the appropriate levels of support during their induction year. Supply teachers are currently being asked to teach without being given the necessary support or development to enable them to do so as effectively as they would wish. 73% of supply teachers revealed that their employer or provider did not put in place any form of professional contact or support system to enable them to discuss their needs.
    Despite the lack of support and training, it is clear that schools are asking supply teachers to fulfil demanding and difficult roles. 42% of supply teachers state that they feel they are asked to cover the lessons of more difficult classes and yet 18% are not able to access support through school behaviour systems.
    Supply teachers are an important resource for schools and yet there is no doubt it is increasingly becoming a Cinderella service with those working as supply teachers being denied professional development, access to appropriate pay levels and their full employment rights.
    The decline in the availability of work for some supply teachers can be directly correlated with the Coalition Government's failure to enforce the School Teachers' Pay and Conditions provisions on cover. Consequently the workload of teachers in schools has increased (again - gotta protect those full-timers guys!) and support staff are being inappropriately deployed as schools fail to make appropriate use of qualified support staff.
    I enclose a copy of the full Report for your futher consideration. I would wlcome the opportunity to discuss the findings with you and relevant Departmental Officials in more detail.
    yadda yadda signing off bits here.
    Both credited to Chris Keates, General Secretary.

That one took longer to type, had to make a phone call in the middle of it (and beat my keyboard into cooperation again)... seems to me lots of using supply teachers to futher the interests of the full-timers - prevent THEM from being taken for cover, bang the drum about THEIR pensions yet again... and the point of the AWR and its impact has completely wooshed over their heads really - when no one's able to GET to week 13 of employment... and the point about the lack of work. I actually fear it could backfire spectacularly - reinforce the view that we do supply because we aren't good enough to GET a full-time job, play into the idea that we're badly-trained and out-of-touch with the CPD thing and that the dear Mr Gove will have the idea in the shower one morning when those little policy idea pixies bite - that supplies need to go on a week long course once a year to keep them up to date - at our own expense... that's the sort of thing I could see coming out of it really.
    Figured people might be interested anyway when this one arrived on my doormat this morning.

6. I have personally conducted a survey among primary schools into the use of support staff during PPA time. The results show quite clearly that 60% of children in the schools sampled were without a qualified teacher during their class teacher's PPA time. The results also showed that the number of qualified teachers employed for PPA time were outnumbered by unqualified staff by about 3:1.
    The results were given to Nick Gibb and he demonstrated his ignorance by stating that I was concerned about cover for teacher absence. The simple fact is that cover is not involvred during PPA time since cover is only needed when teachers are absent from timetabled teaching sessions and teachers are not absent during PPA time.
    Government ministers and officials at the DfE are not really interested in the plight of supply teachers or how children are being denied the full time services of qualified teachers. They are in complete denial of what is really happening in education. the role of teaching assistants was supposed to have been considered in the Education White Paper but in fact the topic was completely ignored.
    If anybody is interested in the results of the survey that I have referred to I can glady provide the information.

7. supplybychoice

supplybychoice New commenter

How on earth can any supply teacher even be a member of the NASUWT ?

When they signed the workload agreement which introduced Cover Scabs sorry Supervisors, I resigned and joined the NUT.

Not only that but they let Cover Supervisors be members.

I urge all NASUWT supply members to leave immediately. The NUT is cheaper as well.

8. Quite easily - I knew I was leaving teaching in May when the baby arrived (hah hah - she came start of April instead of end of May in the end!) and would be cancelling membership then anyway so just left it to run for this year as there was minimal point in faffing about for a short-term situation (same as me deciding not to renew CRBs with my "quieter" agencies for the sake of a couple of months' work).
    Not that I need to justify it or be bashed for it - I posted this so people knew what was being said by the union in question, just in case it inspires dear Mr Gove to come up with another stupid idea in the shower on a morning. Like I said - I think there's a fair few things in what the NASUWT are saying that could backfire pretty spectacularly and things that are being pushed under the "supply" banner that are actually just aimed at protecting the full-timer members on this.