1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NASUWT Supply conference 19 Sept ( previous thread had wrong date...)

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by PizzoCalabro, Aug 7, 2015.

1. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

I went on a n NQT course last year that was very good - looking forward to meeting other supply teachers and swapping war stories in RL...

2. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

I'm NUT but message of solidarity to fellow supply teachers. Please urge shared work on campaigns to save money in education by breaking the stranglehold of agencies.

3. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

I am a member of NUT. Is this for NUT members also?? I would like to go

4. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY Occasional commenter

Hi everyone, I'm NUT and there is a supply teacher network meeting in Camden Centre on September 19th too. Im all for solidarity too and campaigning for breaking the hold that supply agencies seem to have on schools.

5. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Sebedina, NUT has a supply conference every June and various NUT supply networking meetings locally throughout the year such as the one in The Camden Centre in a few weeks. That meeting is open to all NUT members who are supply teachers.

Theoretically, you can go to events held by other unions if you are personally invited to represent your union but you have to remember that the funding for the NASUWT event has come out of their own members' subs, so it could be tricky.

Those supply teachers who are not happy with the decline in pay and conditions brought about by agencies need to work as one pressure group, regardless of politics or union affiliation to expose the money drain that this system has become.

Unions are waking up the to disadvantages of a deregulated, private, profit-making supply procurement system. Any teacher is just a term away from becoming a supply teacher either because of punitive performance management or workload pressures, the need for a family life etc.

All unions provide free training for their members, and supply teachers are no different. Full time teachers need to know that everything will be ticking over if they are absent so they need to support supply teachers' demands for free CPD.

Don't be afraid to bring up the question of pay and conditions at the NASUWT event. It's what a union is for.

Without unions, men and women would not have equal pay, there would be no paid leave, there would be no maternity benefits, no paid sick leave, no right to reply. Use them or lose them.