1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NASUWT says 68,000 BME teachers needed.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Mr_Ed, Jul 13, 2017.

1. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

LOL.

No I am not Laurence Fishburne. He's far better looking than me.

Thanks for the compliment though.

2. Smithy84

Smithy84 New commenter

T
    This has been the story of a
    Yes because only 1 person in the world cares about BME teachers...

3. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Established commenter

To be honest Mr FW, I sort of regret starting this thread & I did so once I read the first response from Smithy84, which made me feel bad and also confused, at the same time. I wasn't going to add anything to it, until I read your comment.

Bad, because I can't know what it's like from his point of view and bad too, because I hadn't done my research, as he exposed. But also confused because in his comment he said this: "...you will never get a constructive discourse about racism on this forum as there is no diversity." I don't agree with that, I'm sure there is diversity in here and even if it's limited, most posters are very liberal in their views, as I have learnt well, during the various Brexit discussions that we have both contributed to.

But if Smithy84 is still following this thread, I'm sorry but I don't agree with this:

Despite the views some have formed of me on here, again 'cos of the Brexit thing, I'm not racist and to suggest the entire teaching system is institutionally racist, is a step too far. In fact to make this assertion just reinforces the view that some people who are culturally or ethnically diverse, are perhaps looking too hard for something, that doesn't actually exist. Why is this?

wanet and SomethingWicked like this.
  4. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Established commenter

I cannot dispute the first part of this comment and I too have been in more than my fair share of staff rooms, BUT I most certainly dispute the second part. I have never heard racist comments in a UK state school staffroom & I'm pretty sure that if I were to, the person making them would soon be put in their place and possibly find themself looking at a formal disciplinary situation, too.

5. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

When I talk about racist comments I am not speaking of overt in your face nasty comments the type of which you would hear at a BNP rally. It's subtle racist comments. The fools don't even realise what they are saying is offensive. Like Boris Johnson and his 'piccaninnies' with 'watermelon smiles'.

Can't see disciplinary action being taken for that kind of statement.

No doubt somebody will be along to tell me that is not racist.

6. drek

drek Lead commenter

Warning...this is purely a ramble...move on if bored...

its natural for people to become defensive when accused of something they are innocent of.

It's safe to say that if something has never happened to me, I tend to believe that it does'nt exist at all, otherwise I would have to acknowledge I am either part of the problem or would have to involved in part of the solution.
    It's much easier to go on the defensive......

Anything else would take me out of my comfort zone which like the majority of a population I am loathe to do.

I have witnessed an entire MFL team (foreign backgrounds but not all ethnic minority) resign from a school after the SLT decided to ignore their pleas for support as groups of students kept verbally harassing them making rascist or offensive cultural based comments etc.
    This SLT decided that it was due to poor behaviour management, despite the town having very very strong and vocal BNP presence........

SLT 'support' came in the form of blaming this group for going into special measures and putting them all on informal capability, shortly after which they resigned en masse.
    The LEA's reaction was to hire one ethnic minority person, in a different subject, to reflect their 'diversity and equality'. The same thing happened again........

now they have an all white staff school having decided that this is easier to deal with. And they are probably right but not for the reasons they think they are......

8 years after removing the so called minority 'weak performers' the school is still in trouble.......

The same SLT then decided that to 'develop' a British white UPS3 teacher who couldn't speak a word of French she should teach this subject as it was 'easy' for anyone 'experienced' to do it......she was a bit long in the tooth got the message and resigned at the end of the year rather than face a permanent management meeting to be told she had not met her UPS3 'targets'......

One has to admit it was all very odd......

Before working at this creepy school I too was someone a bit naive about my fellow human beings.

A bit like meeting an old school acquaintance who admits that their school experience was horrible and not quite like yours.
    When you ask why - they say that some of your closest friends bullied them when you weren't around picking on her because she was from a different background.....

Difficult to believe because this same group were ok with me. Looking back I can see that it was because I was 'one of them' not because I was 'normal' and this other person 'probably had a problem'.....

Certain behaviour patterns make me realise that I would rather walk alone through life than hang out with people whose behaviour with others who are 'different' makes me feel a tad uncomfortable these days.....

I won't actively jeopardise my own job naturally but I certainly avoid lingering in these people's presence however 'popular' they are and however great their public 'personas' no matter what their ethnicity or background is........

slingshotsally likes this.
  7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Sorry, but if you use a sarcasm/aggressive tone, you won't either persuade me to listen to you, or accept anything you post as valid.

8. FrankWolley

In most - probably all - of the schools I worked in Boris Johnson type comments would have led quickly to disciplinary action.

Mr_Ed likes this.
  9. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I have heard racist comments. When challenged, they were brushed aside and I was the person considered to have a chip on my shoulder.

drek likes this.
  10. MonMothma

MonMothma Lead commenter

You sound like a man who dismisses women who complain about sexism but won't listen to them because they 'don't treat you nicely' in their language.

That attitude is part of the problem. It also means you are NOT part of the solution.
    If you don't want to listen to someone who discusses racism, sexism, homophobia etc because they use the straight, white, male example, then that's your problem.

But luckily, there are some white,straight, males who do understand.

Oh - and people really aren't bothered you don't want to listen. Because life still goes on even if you don't listen. And change will come about.

11. MonMothma

MonMothma Lead commenter

Do you know what racism sounds like?
    Sexism?

Casual racism? Everyday racism? Everyday sexism?

12. FrankWolley

Actually YOU are exacerbating the problem. You clearly know very little, perhaps nothing, about the history of - say - the civil rights movement in the US. Why not learn a little before spouting nonsense?

Can I remind you of this wise advice before your next post?

[​IMG]

13. FrankWolley

And 'MonMothma'?

14. MonMothma

MonMothma Lead commenter

I know enough about white, straight males to know they are often part of the problem rather than the solution.

I guess the Handmaid's tale is like a wet dream for some people on here.

15. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

You missed out slingshotsally.

16. MonMothma

MonMothma Lead commenter

Mansplaining?

17. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Lol.

MonMothma likes this.
  18. MonMothma

MonMothma Lead commenter

But hey, if you insist that people who suffer sexism, racism, homophobia etc treat you nicely and speak to you respectfully before you listen and get on board with the issues, then that's your problem.

Women have been told by men to modify their language to get men on board when fighting sexism.

Obviously those men were more concerned with how they are addressed than actual sexism

19. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

@drek post 67

Your post makes a lot of sense.

I've seen and experienced this.

Edit-

Mansplaining exists for a reason.

Whitesplaining exist for a reason.

20. FrankWolley

[​IMG]