1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NASUWT says 68,000 BME teachers needed.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Mr_Ed, Jul 13, 2017.

1. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Why does my race make me a more or a less valuable contributor?

wanet likes this.
  2. Smithy84

Smithy84 New commenter

I'm sorry that was the wrong answer. Your experience as BME teacher is important. BME teachers don't have the same experience as their white colleagues so yes it does matter, unfortunately

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I am interested in this, and I do care about it.

Why are you saying that? You don't know if I have or I haven't

Who are "people like me"

no, the evidence is not, there are statistics, many many overarching statistics. That is not what i am interested in. I am interested in the grass roots. Exactly what and where is the racism,. What exactly causes it, how can it be identified, how is it best dealt with.

Somethings that are called racist, are not racist. Some things that are not called racist, or recognised as such, clearly are racist.

Laphroig and drek like this.
  4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

for example, racist violence, having witnessed it and experienced it, ( and I have also lost a family member to it), I am not convinced IS actually racist first and foremost. It is violence, and dealing with it, and then saying you have dealt with racism is misleading, because what has been dealt with is violence, ( quite rightly) but the causes of violence and the causes of racism are separate.I can't explain very well. But i sort of mean if racism is a train track, and violence is the train that comes barrelling down it.... you can make it impossible for trains to come down that track, but they would probably still go somewhere else, and you still have the track, which is in itself possibly the bigger problem.

I can't explain very clearly, but I think you will understand if you want to

drek likes this.
  5. Smithy84

Smithy84 New commenter

You speak as if you were born yesterday. I'm absolutely dumbfounded at how you think there is a lack of evidence for racism within the justice system and other areas of our society. Not a long time ago the police covered up Stephen Lawrences death purely because he was black. Don't you remember the Jack straw report that branded the metropolitan police as institutionally racist? Anyway I don't want to detract from the teaching issues.

My questions still stand.

Are you a BME teacher?
    Are you aware of BME teachers concerns?
    What racism have you experienced?
    Have you seen any BME teachers discriminated against in any schools you worked.

You seem to be talking empty handed with phrases like "don't make assumptions about me" yet you carry on being vague on all your responses. Just spill the beans. I want to hear your experiences rather than regurgitating the same thing over and over again.

I'm more than happy to continue this. This a public forum and more exposure for this sort of things is good. As a nation we are to scares to talk a racism in our country.

6. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

This is Tony Robinson and you are correct he isn't relevant.

Baldrick.jpg

7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

but it isn't. All races can suffer racism, all races can witness it, all races can understand it.

That is why I am not answering, because it is irrelevant,

because you are putting up totally false barriers and divisions by saying only a black person can understand this, or know that. it isn't true. Maybe it is true that black people are more likely to experience more racism, and I've seen it, but I have also seen white people experience horrendous racism from black people, and that is just as wrong, and your assertion, that only some races can understand or contribute, is in itself racist - hence I am not answering your question about my race.

8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I didn't say that, and I am not talking about that. I am talking about finding out about the specific nuts and bolts. Not the over arching statistics.

9. Smithy84

Smithy84 New commenter

Wow just wow... so do you have any evidence to back up this ground breaking philosophy that racism is separate from violence? That is a major insult to all BME people who have lost a loved one to a hate crime.

Racism is separate from violence haha... never heard that in my life. If someone killed another human being based on their colour it's a racist murder simple as that. You are alone with your style of thinking

10. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I am not answering

yes

more than anyone else I know

yes

11. Smithy84

Smithy84 New commenter

A BME teacher is suited to understanding the disadvantages that their skin colour brings becauuse they live this experience everyday. Not every white person understands what it's like when you're told to f off back to your country, or when your told "you did well as a black man" and a whole host of other subtle racism. We experience it everyday and because of that we are qualified to speak on this matter more so than any white person.

When a crime happens, they don't value the opinion of the criminal but the opinion of the victim.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    drek likes this.
  12. Smithy84

Smithy84 New commenter

Keep going. If anything this thread has served it's purpose by raising awareness of this problem regardless of where you stand on this issue.

drek and vinnie24 like this.
  13. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

you are not listening to me.

murderers are murders. They may choose their victim because of race, ( or gender, or age, or circumstance, or wealth) but not whether or not to have a victim

I am not insulting anyone, and I have also lost a love one to hate crime, which is why I have thought about it so hard for so long.

so being the first person to say it makes it wrong? Thinking originally makes it wrong? All new suggestions come from one person saying it first.

so was Galileo....

14. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

see, I am trying to have a discussion with you, but you are not open to thinking and talking. I'm going away now. This is why there is so little progress on racism, obstruction like this.

15. Smithy84

Smithy84 New commenter

Poor analogy there my friend. It still doesn't make it true

16. Smithy84

Smithy84 New commenter

You are unfortunately wrong. In order to solve this problem. We have to clearly acknowledge the problems.

South Africa's deadly apartheid was not forgotten overnight. The nation had to have a long truth and reconciliation period and bring the perpetrators to justice.

You and I both may strive for equality but we have different methods.

I'll end with this quote from Malcolm X

"If you have a problem with the criminal, you don't take your case to the criminal you take your criminal to court"

17. MonMothma

MonMothma Lead commenter

What a pointless comment.

I suppose you don't think sexism exists either?
    Or homophobia?

18. Smithy84

Smithy84 New commenter

It doesn't because he's never heard it :confused:

I've never seen a rape take place so should i assume it doesn't exist?

19. MonMothma

MonMothma Lead commenter

I wonder if someone who has not experienced everyday racism / sexism /homophobia would even recognise such comments?

I'm guessing that people who've not experienced it may not even recognise comments as such - or most likely, will probably dismiss them - and then tell the person not to be a snowflake / hysterical / to calm down / to get over themselves etc etc.

There are other people who are prepared to listen to those who do experienced everyday racism / sexism etc and try to understand. You can usually tell those kind of people are on forums like this.

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Are smithy and vinnie the same person?

Laphroig and sabrinakat like this.