1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NASUWT says 68,000 BME teachers needed.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Mr_Ed, Jul 13, 2017.

1. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I really, really, hardly know where to start with the offensive and bigoted nature of your post.

What you are doing here is trying to deny the right to contribute from an entire race, deny that they might have insights or experiences to include in the discussion and shut them out without a voice for no reason other than you don't like the colour of their skin.

You think shouting "white privilege" gives you some sort of unanswerable moral high ground?

1) how do you know? You don't know. Who was brushing aside concerns?No one, that is your construct. You have no idea what so ever if this poster is "part of the problem" or not . You have not answered any of their points, or engaged in any way.

As I have pointed out many times, every single person on the face of the Earth is decended from slaves, and from slave traders. No one's "history" gives them any moral rights or moral high ground over anyone elses. Unless they are slave trading right now, ( and I am very aware it happens in London where I live) in which case the personal answerable is the person doing wrong, NOT their descendants.

Maybe, I have my suspicions about some areas, certainly, and I am confident that in other areas not, however aggresive responses such as yours are very much part of the problem, and yes, I am using that phrase with knowledge - you were not. You are attacking and insulting people and trying to shut them down for racist reasons, and making huge assumptions, and generally muddying the waters, and obscuring the real situation, adding your own poisonous prejudices and preventing anything calm, constructive or informative.

No, not if people like you prevent it like this.

Another wild assumption, and there is every possibility that the group most under represented on here is the white Brits,

that is because you wrote an aggressive, provocative, ignorant, bigoted post.

coming to a different figure than you is not indicative of not having done research, maybe having done more accurate research, or maybe having done less accurate research, but two people can research diligently and come out with different figures, again you are being aggresive and insulting for no reason, why not simply talk and decide which is the most accurate. I haven't looked at your links because I can't follow links, but certainly the figures quoted by the other poster chime with what I understand to be the concensus.

no you are not, there is no right or wrong side of history, and you haven't even specified what history you are taking about, more high faluting sounding phrases which you appear to think gives you some sort of moral high ground, and can be used to shut other people down, and you think sounds unanswerable, but in reality is totally without meaning

This could have been an informative discussion, but it simply isn't possible with posters like this.

Laphroig and lanokia like this.
  2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

you are not "fighting for equality" you are actively fighting against it

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Slaves, hmmm
    Sale Rovers
    Barbary slavers
    Various African tribes selling their beaten enemies on...
    But it's all Britain's fault.

4. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

I don't think it's too much to ask that BME students have BME teachers. There are obviously not enough BME teachers at the moment (27% of students are BME) and needs to be more. Seems perfectly reasonable to me regardless of the overall demographic.

Why anyone would not support this can only be guessed at.

5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I don't think so, quite the reverse, White Brits have been a small minority in most of the schools I have worked in.

Yes, I have heard racist comments from staff ( of all races) and this could have been an opportunity to discuss this here, but that can't happen with such blindness

why not? That is a crazy thing to say!

6. Smithy84

Smithy84 New commenter

That is a matter of opinion.

7. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

So what is your plan for getting rid of the excess numbers of female staff in the primary school sector?

8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I'm sure you are not saying what you appear to be saying here.....

How would you feel about white students insisting on white teachers?

I personally just think it would be a good idea if schools had teachers, first and foremost, which many are currently exceedingly short on.

9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

no, it really is NOT.

responses like yours are EXACTLY what prevents racism being clearly identified and dealt with in many settings.

10. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Why has the discussion gone from BME teachers to blacks being to blame for their own enslavement?

ssaleh21 likes this.
  11. Smithy84

Smithy84 New commenter

You seem to have a hard time understanding the term white privilege. I'll let you read this article en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege

White privilige is a term used when white people enjoy priviliges of society that are unavailable black and minorities. Things like preferential police treatment or lenient justice. Not something you seem to understand. That is a fact and is well documented. Being born white means that you were born into a system that validates and reaffirms that you are socially included - and being socially included, is a very valuable privilege.

Lets not kid ourselves, this would not have been an informative discussion either way. If Vinnie and I didn't comment on the side of BME teachers this would be heavily one sided.

Now that you have heavily invested yourself in this thread, would you mind sharing your experiences of BME teachers? Particularly how you walked a mile in their shoes and helped them overcome racism within the teaching profession? ;) im all ears and keen on what you have to say about the problems facing BME teachers.

12. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

If white students were only being taught by black teachers then I would support them..

13. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

@Smithy84

your blind assumptions are breath taking.

what makes you think i am white?

What makes you think I am socially included?

What makes you think you have experienced more than me about racism?

Laphroig likes this.
  14. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I am sitting here looking at scars from racial violence that I've had for more than half of my life.

15. Smithy84

Smithy84 New commenter

Then put your money where your mouth is and state your position and your own experiences. You have yet to answer my questions.

What racism have you experienced?

Are you from the BME community?

Have you done anything about racism or inequality your school?

Until then your just a bystander with no substance.

16. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Tommy Robinson has scars from racial violence too.

17. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Iam interested in investigating this, but it is impossible to do so without these aggressive, insulting, racist and prejudiced attitudes blocking up all channels of enquiry and preventing any open honesty.

18. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

who is Tony Robinson? never heard of him, and suspect he isn't relevant.

19. Smithy84

Smithy84 New commenter

I was raised in the 70s at a time of race riots. I lost my brother to a bunch of racist gangs. I've seen BME teachers treated poorly in an overt way. I've seen BME teachers racially harassed by students including myself with no consequence for students. I've seen inexperienced white teachers promoted rapidly. I've seen brilliant young BME teachers with outstanding Russel group qualifications denied promotion for frivolous reasons. You ain't got a clue what you're talking about. There needs to be more awareness of this cancerous racism within our schools and people like you are not doing it a service.

20. Smithy84

Smithy84 New commenter

Evidence is already out there my friend. It's a matter of accepting the data and evidence staring you in the face.