1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NASUWT says 68,000 BME teachers needed.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Mr_Ed, Jul 13, 2017.

1. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

No

3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

4. MonMothma

MonMothma Lead commenter

That's true - there's a shortage of men in primary education.

But no shortage of straight, white middle class men in stories and when discussing famous scientists, in history, in maths etc. In the news, in politics..

White middle class boys don't need to worry about seeing themselves represented at school.

I wonder what some people on here think of ideas such as black history month, LGBT history month and campaigns such as "This girl can" ?

Landofla and Smithy84 like this.
  5. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Established commenter

When I typed the bit about different salary levels depending on the ethnicity of the teacher, I was trying to be sarcastic, that you have even considered it to be remotely feasible means you are, my friend, quite deluded. As is wanet for 'liking' post #232.

How about we look at this whole thing from a totally different angle: instead of needing more BME teachers, so staff ratios match our multicultural population, would not leaving things as they are, whilst becoming less diverse, not achieve the same result? (A hypothetical question, I know).

What exactly is the the Islamic position on contraception, for example? If a woman marries in her early twenties, is she likely to have more children than if she did so in her early thirties - my age, when I tied the knot - particularly in a predominantly patriarchal community?

See: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...and-Wales-are-Muslim-census-figures-show.html

"Census figures reveal a ‘startling’ shift in Britain’s demographic trend with almost a tenth of babies and toddlers born in England and Wales being Muslim.

The figures show there were 3.5 million children aged 0-4 of whom 320,000 were Muslim. That proportion is more than nine per cent and compares with a total Muslim population among all age groups of less than five per cent.

“It certainly is a startling figure,” said Professor David Coleman, Professor of Demography at the University of Oxford. “We have had substantial immigration of Muslims for a long time. Continuing immigration from Pakistan, Bangladesh and India has been added to by new immigration from African countries and from the Middle East.

“Birth rates of Muslims of Pakistani and Bangladeshi origin remain quite high.....”

For even more see: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/519870/Migrant-baby-boom-UK-high-birthrate

"It has long been known that migrant women have higher birth rates than British and are bringing young children with them to the UK.

This latest data graphically illustrates the strain migration is putting on public services - especially schools and hospitals - in some of the country's poorest areas.

The statistics also show how uncontrolled migration is changing the face of Britain's former industrial heartlands.

Recent ONS data showed that mass migration sent Britain's population soaring above 64 million for the first time, with the country gaining an extra 400,000 people from 2012 to 2013.

The population has grown twice as fast as the rest of Europe over the past decade, gaining as many people in that time as in the entire previous generation.

Sir Andrew Green, the chairman of Migration Watch UK, which campaigns for low immigration, said: "This is yet another example of the impact of mass immigration on our society"."

Finally, it is laughable that in #225, Smithy84 aimed this at FrankWolley:

Have you not read Mr_FWs posts in 'Personal', on the issue of Brexit? He'd be more likely to be at a 'Britain Last' meeting! (No offence, Frank).

6. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Sisyphus_rolls_again Established commenter

My figure of 27% in our department is in the context of a secondary school.

I wouldn't know, there's not many of them at our school.
    There's not many role models in education for white working class boys either.

7. SomethingWicked

SomethingWicked Occasional commenter

Considering there are almost a million Polish people in the UK, I find the brazen use of 'white' as a blanket term quite reductive. I'm pretty sure their experience of discrimination is not what one would describe as 'privileged'. We don't need to get the rulers out and measure who has the bigger problem between white immigrants and visibly BME members of society, but remember when you're talking about 'white people', you typically mean white English people (discrimination against Northern, Scottish, Welsh and Irish people also exists, but we'll call that a drop in the ocean compared to others' experiences). As I have mentioned before, accurate expression is important for both sides.

lanokia and wanet like this.
  8. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

I'm opposed to them on principle.

Why put in in a special month? Just have more famous figures added to the history curriculum based on their merits.

9. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Established commenter

It might be a bit of a mess, but it is something that needs to be discussed.

Leaving the race issue to one side, do people not realise how many more schools and how many teachers are going to be needed in years to come?

Furthermore, assuming the argument to be true - that BME pupils need more BME role models within the education system - we are going to need many, many more BME staff in schools, full stop.

Here is some of the latest data: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40655563

"The number of foreign-born mothers having babies in England and Wales in 2016 reached 28% - the highest level on record, official statistics show."

10. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

An excellent post from the Personal section. If this turns out to be true and I have no reason to think otherwise, it renders this whole thread moot.

Perhaps the Unions should be taking action to deal with this, rather than making 'politically correct' statements calling for more BME teachers, when actually, the whole profession is under threat.