1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nasuwt position on supply teachers

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by historygrump, Nov 18, 2011.

1. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

many supply teacher members reported in accessing work and, in particular, the lack of work available to them. Conference further condemned the passing of the provision of supply cover to agencies whose rates of pay are below national salary levels and which make no pension provision for supply teachers. Furthermore Conference urged the National Executive to investigate the situation and campaign for better treatment for supply teachers and to enter into discussions with governments, local authorities and other teacher trade unions to find a better way of providing cover in schools.
    Is this a potential indication that things may be changing slowly and with a little more pressure, things may change for the better? do we increase the pressure on the unions to demand action?

2. Funny cos when I emailed them for exact clarification on their position so I could make a decision on my membership I got the full speil back about how the workload agreement and TAs/cover supervisors/Bob from number 97 down the road taking classes was going to improve my life drastically!

3. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

IThis is what they emailed me yesterday, when I ask them for the union position on supply teachers. It makes you wonder what is their actual position, I hope their position as changed after the last conference, because I was going to use the quote to send to the other unions to get them on board in respect to supporting supply teachers and dealing with the scurge of the unqualified.

4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

It does look like, at last, a faint glimmer of recognition from at least one union that all is not well in the supply world.
    Lets hope this recognition grows.

5. We've had some 8/9 years of having to "compete" with the unqualified for supply teaching and HTs are still generating all manner of job titles for cover "teachers"
    As for Mr Gove with the academies being given carte blance to employ anyone as a teacher,
    is there any hope?

6. IMO, the best way forward is to reverse the closure of LEA supply lists. Most of the work could have been placed directly, it was once mostly done that way, and if it costs a school more it wouldn't be by much. Agencies should be in the role of real emergency placings, and for schools which have problems organizing supply, (mostly due to behviour issues). Unions could support the promotion of LEA supply. The teachers' pay takes care of the professional pay. This doesn't tackle the use of unqualified staff, but it deals with part of the problem., agencies competing with each other to offer ever lower pay rates.

7. IMO, the best way forward is to reverse the closure of LEA supply lists.

Quite agree Shalteir. This would be best for all.

8. Forgot to mention that it removes the problem resulting from EU legislation, which then makes agencies more expensive than ever, adding £40 or £50 on top of scale pay after 12 weeks. With LEA employment, the supply is paid to scale, from Day 1.