1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NASUWT and industrial action... How do you feel?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lauren155, Jun 19, 2011.

1. lauren155

lauren155 New commenter

I work in a huge primary school with most teachers being members of NUT or ATL. The head has decided to close the school, but not yet advised non-striking staff if they will be required to still come in. There will be a physical picket line on the 30th outside my school and I am worrying about crossing it (even though I am aware I am obliged to go into work).
    I have tried to drop in I am not with NUT or ATL but in such a huge school ...
    I get on very well with all the staff, however, many feel very stongly about the strike (I fully support their choice) Reason can go out of the window with a group fighting for thieir rights so I am concerned about the reception I will get on the 30th!

I am not expecting a day off - I would happily work! What would you do? What situation are you in?

2. lauren155

lauren155 New commenter

I work in a huge primary school with most teachers being members of NUT or ATL. The head has decided to close the school, but not yet advised non-striking staff if they will be required to still come in. There will be a physical picket line on the 30th outside my school and I am worrying about crossing it (even though I am aware I am obliged to go into work).
    I have tried to drop in I am not with NUT or ATL but in such a huge school ...
    I get on very well with all the staff, however, many feel very stongly about the strike (I fully support their choice) Reason can go out of the window with a group fighting for thieir rights so I am concerned about the reception I will get on the 30th!

I am not expecting a day off - I would happily work! What would you do? What situation are you in?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

When you say 'worrying about crossing' the picket line and 'concerned about the reception', I hope you don't mean that you feel your colleagues will be in any way threatening or abusive towards you for doing so? If your union has not voted to strike, you have no choice but to go into work (regardless of your views) and they should be fully aware of that and supportive. It is a disciplinary offence not to do so.

Several staff in my school will be striking and picketing, but I am in no way worried about their reaction to me working. They are all good and decent people who have personal respect for me as I do them. There will be no verbal or physical abuse towards those of us working.

I feel very sorry for people who work in a place where they are worried about their colleagues and what may happen.

4. Make this explicit to your colleagues and make sure they understand that consequently you are unable to strike. You can only strike if you belong to a union that has voted to do so - otherwise, as Minnie says it is a disciplinary offence.

5. I can't remember where, but I read a few days ago that if you are in a non-striking union (and so have to go in or face disciplinary) your SMT have an obligation to ensure you can cross the picket safely - if they cannot ensure this then I think they can't expect you to cross it. Maybe someone can provide a link to this information as I can't remember where I've seen it.