1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nasty nasty woman

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gam26, Jul 16, 2012.

1. gam26

gam26 New commenter

Oh God - what has happened to me - I have transformed from a mostly reasonable, laid-back sort of person to a witchity harridan overnight.

I Woke up this morning feeling tireder than I did before I went to bed and then have spent the day being absolutely horrible to every adult who had the misfortune to come within my line of sight! From the poor caretaker - it's not his fault that the long ladders I wanted to take down a display were locked away in the cellar - or that one of my tables had disappeared after a weekend function at the school; from my over reaction you'd think he'd been drowning fluffy defenceless kittens by the bucket load; to the school secretary, dinner ladies, fellow teachers - I've even made one cry, support staff - even had a snipe at the Head! What on earth is wrong with me?

2. gam26

gam26 New commenter

Oh God - what has happened to me - I have transformed from a mostly reasonable, laid-back sort of person to a witchity harridan overnight.

I Woke up this morning feeling tireder than I did before I went to bed and then have spent the day being absolutely horrible to every adult who had the misfortune to come within my line of sight! From the poor caretaker - it's not his fault that the long ladders I wanted to take down a display were locked away in the cellar - or that one of my tables had disappeared after a weekend function at the school; from my over reaction you'd think he'd been drowning fluffy defenceless kittens by the bucket load; to the school secretary, dinner ladies, fellow teachers - I've even made one cry, support staff - even had a snipe at the Head! What on earth is wrong with me?

3. Professor Dumbledore

Professor Dumbledore New commenter

Hello,
    I'm sure you're absolutely shattered like the rest of us, but please give a moment's thought to those people whose lives you've made a little bit worse by your shouting/snippy comments.

How did you make someone cry? Did you see they were getting upset and just carry on? As I say, we are all tired, but most of us manage to limit ourselves to evil thought and muted obscenities.

Hope you're planning on apologising?

4. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Were you abducted by aliens in your sleep?
    You need to bring cakes to school tomorrow.[​IMG]

5. You're like the rest of us. Knackered. Have an early night - go in tomorrow and apologise to the people you were nasty to. They will appreciate it. If you made someone cry, get them some flowers or chocs or write a soppy card. You have to work with these people next term so get it all out of the way before then. It probably isn't all down to you. They are all probably on a short fuse too.

6. I feel a bit like this too! I've not been so horrid but am a bit snappy with everyone at work at the moment, and am finding everything is irritating me more than it used to. Thank goodness for the 6 weeks holidays being just around the corner!

7. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

No, I'm not going to go along with most of the others on this thread and excuse your behaviour.
    Making someone cry is shameful.

8. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

I think you've got some grovelling to do.

9. Thinking about it - it's better than being horrid to the kids. Although even then it's not the end of the world. I lost my temper with a class last year because I thought someone had stolen/hidden the remote control for the projector. I read them the riot act, spent at least 15 minutes ranting and saying no one was going home until the person responsible owned up etc. etc. Then the teacher whose classroom it was came in and when I mentioned the missing remote, opened her cupboard and there it was. I had never had it because the projector was already set up when I came in.
    A tin of Celebrations and a grovelling apology the following day and the class forgave me.

10. Whilst it's not good making someone cry, at least you REALISE you were being nasty before it's too late. Go and apologise tomorrow.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Sounds like early onset Gove Syndrome to me.

12. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

If a pupil behaved like that we'd say they had "anger-management" issues.
    As a teacher you ought to have the maturiy and social skills to be able to control your response in a professional setting.
    There is really no excuse.
    End of term report: "must try harder".

13. I have had colleagues make me cry before through ranting at me while stressed. I don't really understand why people feel the need to rant at others to such an extent but I guess it depends on your response to stress-I tend to internalise stress and just feel low and anxious but other people seem to deal with it by taking it out on others. Make it up to them and I'm sure everything will be OK.

14. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

My husband describes this time of the year as 'shark infested days'. The end is so close but we are all so exhausted and many of us close to snapping point.

15. i co-organise our school fete, and on the day, i felt so sh*t i posted a notice in the staffroom warning that i would probably yell at someone before the day was out (consequently, all but 2 had the sense not to behave like prats in my vicinity - and i can handle 2)
    in a previous job, i am embarrassed to admit to losing it with a secretary who didn't understand that i had to speak to her boss RIGHT NOW (and i really did)
    i sent flowers

16. gam26

gam26 New commenter

Went to doctors - after a battery of tests - he has diagnosed premature menopause (am 'only' 37). Turns out after speaking to my mother it runs in the family - have been given HRT tablets. Whilst this doesn't excuse my behaviour (cakes and sincere apologies have helped restore relationships with those I upset) - at least I know I'm not losing the plot which was how I was beginning to feel.