1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nasty computer virus

Discussion in 'Personal' started by inky, Jul 8, 2012.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

Mr inky's spent much of today trying to locate a virus that's infected our laptop.

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Mr inky's spent much of today trying to locate a virus that's infected our laptop.

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

What are the symptoms? What steps have you been trying?

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

I don't even like to write its name. It comes up with a warning that your computer's riddled with viruses. It's called [and I've distorted its name a bit] s,m,a,r,t anti virus and it tries to make you think you've been virused and that your hardware has been compromised. I suppose the next step is to ask victims for details of how they want to pay the frauds to clear up the mess.

Mr inky wasn't having any of it. He's the right person to solve the problem, with a little help from colleagues.
    But please be warned. If you get messages on your screen telling you that you have problems with programmes - ignore them.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I've just had a box pop up when I switched on telling me that there's a security alert and that my security certificate and registration do not match. Viewing certificate gives a site I'm not familiar with and the option to instal ... er, NO!

6. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

I came home from work one day to find something similar. Heaven knows which site she'd visited. The thing to do is not to panic.
    Malwarebytes sorted it out. They give you a limited free trial, after which you can't use it unless you pay, but I have discovered that if you uninstall it, you can reinstall again, download the updates and run it again at least once.

7. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

Malwarebytes is fantastic. I had the trial version for ages but have now invested in the full version. A year or so ago it saved my husband's laptop. He'd been on a foreign site and up had popped "the box". He'd tried to close it down (he's not daft) but it refused to go unless he clicked 'to cure the problems found'. He couldn't run his own free version of Malwarebytes - the virus wouldn't let him do anything with his laptop and he couldn't get onto the internet to search for an alternative cure.
    But, I copied the free version from my computer onto a CD, put it into the disc drive on his laptop, accessed Malwarebytes via the CD and ran a full scan - result? Virus completely gone :)

8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Google its name, or post it here. There will be an easy fix.