1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NASENCO

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by bird61, May 30, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Does anyone know if you can do the National Award for SENCO and fund it yourself ? I am taking voluntary redundancy and want to become a SENCO. My current head ould support me in terms of doing work based case studies etc, even though I will have left. I know of some providers who run the course but it takes a year to complete. Does anyone know of a quicker route. I finish at the end of this term so realistically I'm looking for Jan 2012 start.
    If anyone has any information, I would really be grateful. live in Birmingham area but prepared to travel for the right course.
    Cheers

2. Hi, I'm supposed to be starting one in November run by the Best Practice network. There are still some places available.
    Hope that helps x

3. sem022

sem022 New commenter

I am just finishing the National Award for SENCO which was funded by the TDA. There are places to fund it yourself - not sure how much it would be but my funding included money for a supply teacher to cover my class whilst I was out at University.
    It is a very hands on course so you will need to be involved with your school as the essays are very practical and "on the job".
    I don't think there is a quicker route this is a government requirement that all new SENCOs have completed this programme.
    All the best with finding a course!

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Great to hear that folk enthusiastic for the Accreditation but there is a reason why fast track in this instance is not nor should be ( in my opinion ) an option.