1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NASENCO - what preparation did you do?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by cuppaandcake, Apr 25, 2019.

1. cuppaandcake

cuppaandcake New commenter

ve been looking into this for a year and a half and had planned to embark on a course starting in September this year. I have the full support of my headteacher. I found a distance learning provider with a course starting in May which I would like to take on. I sent the details to the Head and she said she's happy for me to start in May if I feel ready, but I may wish to do some further preparation work and start in September.

If you've done the NASENCO award, what (if any) preparation did you do and how did you know you were ready?

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I used to deliver this for a local University so have no knowledge of distance providers. Look at the SENCO standards ? Course participants as I recall did not do any prep ?Think it is very much about being able to relate your experiences to the assessment criteria as well as being able to read and research and critique practice .Capacity to reflect and work with impact criteria are key .

cuppaandcake likes this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Of course happy to help as and when you may need it ? Good Luck

4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I did mine with a an online learner, didn't do any prep except for my sen experience as a teacher and sendco.

minnie me and senlady like this.
  5. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

Does anyone know if you can use credits from a previous Masters (of Education) towards the NASENCo?

I am also looking at doing it via Distance learning, any providers to be wary of?

6. cricketgirl

cricketgirl New commenter

I am doing it at the moment but via a local university, I didn't need to do any prep for it. It's a big commitment and vital you are in a position in school where you can make an impact. It's a fab course and I've learnt so much to help me do my job as SENCO. Good luck with it!

senlady likes this.
  7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

There was a thread about dodgy distance providers awhile ago ? I think you can put NASENCo credits towards a Masters - not sure re other way ? I put credits from my NPQH towards mine ( Masters )

senlady likes this.
  8. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

@senlady I did mine through serco/wolverhampton, I know many people have used Real Training.

senlady likes this.
  9. brookey1970

brookey1970 New commenter

See the NASEN website for the Register of Quality Providers, who meet the quality standard. Some of these are distance learning providers.
    http://www.nasen.org.uk/about/partnerships/
    (scroll about halfway down the page to get to the list)

10. Midgelou49

Midgelou49 New commenter

I hope you don’t mind me asking a further question about this qualification on your thread but your question has been very useful!

I am a class teacher of 11 years who is very keen to do this course however I am not in a SENCo position in school. I would want to do it distance learning wise but I just wondered if I needed to be in a SENCo role to be able to complete it?

The aim is to become a SENCo eventually but all the jobs out there either want you to have the award already or if they can help can only offer a part time job so I’m a little stuck as to what to do for the best!

Any advice welcome, thank you