1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NASENCO qualification - distance learning

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by shirleyj01, Oct 10, 2015.

1. shirleyj01

shirleyj01 New commenter

Can anyone recommend a good distance learning provider to do the NASENCo with? There seems to be so many with a huge difference in costs (I will be funding it myself)..
    I've looked at the websites for
    • realtraining.co.uk
    • Canterbury Christchurch
    • edghill
    but it would be great to hear from anyone who has gained online accreditation..

Can anyone help?
    Thanks
    Shirley

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I did mine through Wolverhampton.
    Heard good reports about Edgehill.
    Doing it online misses out on the "meeting other sencos" to share ideas and concerns with. This was the part I missed the most as talking on line just isn't the same. We did have some face to face meeting with the other on the course and our tutor for our area. I have to say I didn't find them very useful.I found it a lonely way to study as the others doing the course near me, our area was very large, were not into extra meetings or discussing assignments so I was on my own.
    I'm sure it varies by provider and the group you are studying with.

3. quidditch

quidditch New commenter

I am looking to do it online also, mainly due to work commitments. It's more I know my local provider expect 5000 word essays and i'm more dubious that I would manage this when expected to manage SEND department. We could always start a contact list for people online :)

4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I still had to write essays in fact more than those who did the course through the local uni as they had to provide a portfolio of evidence. I had to write 3 of about 3,000 words each one was a proposal for an action research. then there was the reading, research and completion of various tasks/activities.

5. shirleyj01

shirleyj01 New commenter

Thanks for all your responses.

I've been looking at SERCO and REAL who are both online.

Anyone got any experience with these company's? The next start is January but as I am an aspiring not an actual senco I was wondering how easy it would be to complete. Although the company's say it would be fine ☺

6. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I posted on your other thread. I did mine with serco.
    I think it would be harder but not impossible to complete while not in post. Very expensive if you have to pay yourself. Some of the assignments I did would have been difficult to complete, an action research proposal and one to do with the school SDP. Some of the other activities required working knowledge. If you can shadow your senco and the school is happy to support/help you then it could be done. but certainly easier with some experience.

7. shirleyj01

shirleyj01 New commenter

Thanks for your reply. Yes I need to make sure the tasks are do-able if I am not in post. I will be phoning them to double check I think. Thx.

8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think most companies would say ' it'll be fine ' because they want the numbers! Agree that shadowing is crucial and experience key. I don't know how the ' aspiring ' SENCO course is structured though -it would make sense for this to be differentiated if is is to be accessible ?

9. shirleyj01

shirleyj01 New commenter

Yes it would make sense if it were differentiated. Not sure that it is though.. I wouldn't want to start the course and be unable to complete. It depends if the tasks are strictly related to your current practice in school, I guess... As I am not based in a school this would make it very difficult. Lol.

10. nopong

nopong New commenter

Hi, I am an aspiring SENCO. Shirleyj01 I wanted to find out if you did enroll on the distant learning NASENCo course? How did you find the course? I am planning on doing the same thing. Any advice will be helpful. Many thanks.

11. doonessy

doonessy New commenter

Just completed. Lots of work and extra reading, which needless to say, would be easy if didn't have a full time teacher job too. Best bit is meeting other SENCos who also found it very hard to fit it in on top of other commitments. Quite stressful actually!

12. blueprintteacher

blueprintteacher New commenter

Hello,
    which course did you go with?
    Thanks Heidi

13. tesconnectes

tesconnectes New commenter

Hello Shirley,

Just to confirm, where did you eventually do this course? I am now in the same shoes as you were. Thank you

14. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

I'd recommend Canterbury Christchurch...

15. 1212Deb

1212Deb New commenter

Hi tesconnectes

Like you I'm currently looking at providers (see my post) to enrol now ready for Sept. I've talked to a few fellow SENCOs and in my LA it seems to be Edge Hill Or SERCO/Wolverhampton that most people did - but I've heard a lot of criticism of Edge Hill and the fact that you're required to give up some weekends puts me off. I figured doing it all online might make it easier to manage when I'm already pushed for time.
    Have you decided which yet?

16. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Re EHU - from my experience ( not a student ) it will do everything to 'get you through ' ;). Well that used to be the case anyway ? I think they are all pretty much of a muchness. EHU programme been going a fair while so you would expect it has evolved and does what it says on the tin?

17. tesconnectes

tesconnectes New commenter

Thank you 1212 Deb, I do not have the opportunity to travel as well, hence, a fully online approach will be most beneficial. I am applying to both SERCO and Real Training as they both seem to offer a complete online(albeit) intensive programme, that suits my need.

The application process is indeed intensive, so I have begun early now, in order to be able to join the September cohort.

18. lyra45

lyra45 New commenter

Anyone done the training at Leeds Beckett? I'm currently trying to decide between Leeds Beckett and Real Training. Any Opinions?

19. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Have a look at the NASENCO thread re Real

20. marmalade123

marmalade123 New commenter

I did the Leeds Beckett one and found it manageable around full-time work. It was well structured and the tutor was very supportive.