1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NASENCo and changing jobs

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by GwynethDavis, Apr 6, 2019.

1. GwynethDavis

GwynethDavis New commenter

I'm over 60 and SENCo has been part of my leadership role since well before the NASENCo became compulsory. SEN has been excellent at my school through several OFSTEDs. What if I was to change to a role that included SENCo at another school? Would I need to gain the NASENCo award?
    Thanks

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

The Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations (2014) states
    :4) Where a person becomes the SENCO at a relevant school after 1st September 2009, and has not previously been the SENCO at that or any other relevant school for a total period of more than twelve months, the appropriate authority of the school must ensure that, if the person is the SENCO at the school at any time after the third anniversary of the date on which that person becomes a SENCO, that person holds the qualification.

So, as you have worked as SENCO for a period of more than 12 months, it looks like you don't need to take the qualification.

GwynethDavis likes this.
  3. GwynethDavis

GwynethDavis New commenter

Thanks - That's how it seemed to me too, but wanted to have second opinions.

4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

No, as long as you fulfil the criteria in #2 then you don’t need it. An Ofsted inspector can check but they will concur with those criteria. It doesn’t have to be at the same school.