1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Narked by agency

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by pink_reindeer, Jan 17, 2019.

1. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

Yesterday, I was at work for agency (let's call them #1). I received a text from agency #2 asking me to call them on my break. Which I did.
    Agency #2 only deals with secondary schools. I am exhausted (and quite frankly sad and depressed) by the behaviour you tend to get in secondary schools. I made the decision to register with agency #3 to see if I could get more primary work to fill up my days. Agency #3 contacted agency #2 for a reference.
    Representative from agency #2 basically wanted an explanation. I wanted to tell her to mind her own effin business. Grrrrr!!

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Tell them you want to keep up to date with teaching in Primary. It'd be great if they could offer that, but as they don't you've looked at #3. Of course #2 will be your first choice for secondary work. Or something like that.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  3. pink_reindeer

That's the kind of response I waffled to her. I'm just a bit miffed at her attitude of thinking she has a right to an explanation. Aren't we keeping you busy enough? (well, yes, agency #2, you are, but in schools that make me want to walk out by 9.30.

pepper5, agathamorse and Stiltskin like this.
  4. FrauRussell

FrauRussell New commenter

It's dead rude of them, isn't it, and seems quite immature. I mean, I understand agency refs are simple confirmation that they've sent you out on assignment. What's the big deal? You'd hope an agency would be big enough to recognise they can't keep most of us in work all the time and we need to earn a living, or that we have a right to express a preference about where we work.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. pwtin

pwtin Star commenter

They were completely out of order and you should have told them so. I am fuming on your behalf.

6. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

You could say, very sweetly, that agency 2 would of course be your preference if there was a choice of primary placements...

Someone, somewhere , in the agency will be dealing with primary schools..

agathamorse likes this.
  7. freshfriesan

freshfriesan Occasional commenter

Yup. I'm practising the line "I've mDe plans for such and such a days when they check my availability which leads to questioning about where I'm working." it's personal, it's private. Across the whole of the supply expetiene. Thems the phrases to remember. It's a joke.
    Some manipulative people in these places, making money off you working. If they know you're a grafter, reliable and tough they will give you the hardest work no one else capable of. Can't believe its took me so long to see this. Really I've wanted little stints and day to day, they've put me in 5 day long term stuff. Knowing from the start I jyst wan t 3 or 4 days. Yet since they and school have let me down I've been getting two of three days small piece and a short term booking. Oh they slave you. They're a disgrace!
    Tell em nothing, except this I will and that I won't. They make a lot of money off us! Stand firm. I

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  8. freshfriesan

freshfriesan Occasional commenter

It pays to talk to no one.

9. pink_reindeer

Thank you! I appreciate that :)