1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Narcos - anyone?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by coffeekid, Dec 18, 2015.

1. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Is anyone watching this? If not, and you have Netlfix, I recommend it. The storyline's based on real life events in the early 80s and tells the story of the growth of the cocaine industry, the drug cartels behind it, and how the Drug Enforcement agency dealt with them.
    I wasn't sure about it, but got sucked in. Lots of old news footage, which is fascinating in its own right. I had no idea it was Nancy Reagan who first coined the saying, "Just Say No!"

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

On my to watch list... when we finish Chuck.

coffeekid likes this.
  3. ninenotes

ninenotes Senior commenter

Why do people watch programmes about drug dealing for entertainment? I don't get it.

Breaking Bad lasted all of 5 minutes for me because the idea that a middle aged chemistry teacher would start making crack was so stupid.

4. ninenotes

The Bridge on the other hand.....

Still don't know who the murderer is.

aspensquiver likes this.
  5. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Agree. I found the idea of the teacher being involved freaky.

6. aspensquiver

Saga is queen.

7. ninenotes

But Saga didn't do it.

She didn't kill her mother either.

8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It's happened several times in real life.

The real life narco wars in Mexico are much more interesting than any drama. However, I wouldn't recommend you google anything to do with it, such is the associated violence.

9. aspensquiver

I know. Just saying she rules. Etc

To ninenotes who is pretending to be obtuse.

10. aspensquiver

Most readers will be doing just that - especially ninenotes. Lol

11. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

There has even been one called Walter White funnily enough... although he wasn't a teacher

12. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

The tv drama more or less covers the violence in a pretty low-key way. Not that there aren't some violent scenes but they're nowhere as bad as they could have been. Game of Thrones is worse. In some ways the drug cartel stuff is secondary to the characters portrayed. I like good characterisation, that's why i'm enjoying it. That, and it has a voice-over. I love a voice-over. :- )

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

No more spoilers about The Bridge, please, folks . . .we are going to start watching it tonight and I can't wait.
    Coffeekid - wrt to Narcos we watched quite a bit of it, but I went off it rapidly. I'll PM you the reasons why.

coffeekid likes this.
  14. ninenotes

I don't get why anybody would want to watch a drama about it instead of a documentary.

Fargo is very good but it isn't a "true story".

@kibosh You'll enjoy The Bridge. After 8 episodes there are still any number of people who could be the killer.

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

The first Season was excellent. Bron. I think we have one night to watch the first two episodes on catch-up, before they are removed.

For those that know (from the various tv series threads we have had on here over the years) that they have similar taste to me, then I can thoroughly recommend 'Ray Donovan'.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2249007/?ref_=nv_sr_1

16. ninenotes

Surely you mean braw???

I like it when Saga says that.

kibosh likes this.
  17. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

We've watched the entire series. Utterly compelling - due, in no small part, to the fact that the events really happened.

I recommended it to my HT (who first put me onto Breaking Bad) and he is now addicted - pun intended.

coffeekid likes this.
  18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Strange that you should say that. I almost wrote Braw Bron in my previous post and changed my mind. During Season 1 we both started speaking Saga :) braw this and braw that and all in a Scandi accent

19. ninenotes

Isn't braw Scottish?

Some people say they're trying to learn Swedish from it. What kind of Swedish would you learn?

"Yep, he's dead. Braw."

kibosh likes this.
  20. aspensquiver

Braw might be from Norse originally. The Vikings were over here for a bit.

kibosh likes this.