1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NAR

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by cochrane1964, May 1, 2012.

1. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

Have you seen the 3 page A4 simple proforma to be filled in before submitting your single assessment question? Lovely site with little in it!

2. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

Have you seen the 3 page A4 simple proforma to be filled in before submitting your single assessment question? Lovely site with little in it!

3. A complete joke, that NAR. When my SMT referred me to it (they clearly had never looked at it, but that's another matter) for maths assessments, I downloaded and printed off all 93 questions, one at a time, simply to show them what a farce it is.
    Who came up with this, who the heck do they think will actually use it?
    AND WHAT IS THIS NAR/EDUCATION SCOTLAND/HMIE/LTSCOTLAND NONSENSE COSTING THE TAXPAYER, MR RUSSELL??? *shouting to get his attention*

4. coaltown1

coaltown1 New commenter

NAR is a total joke. It was held up as the answer to all our assessment woes but actually added to them. It takes ages to find anything remotely appropriate and user friendly. (I found a reading assessment which was ok but can't find it again!)
    The maths assessments in particular are laughable! We had been advised to just download the ones we needed but quite frankly I have better things to do with my time.
    Do you think Mr Russell actually listens to anything teachers say?

5. god knows- we have the joys who creating NARs at the same time as spending hour upon hour writing reports. What a total waste of time. if they want a decent NAR bank, get teachers out of classes to give the time needed.

6. It's not even that. They've cooked their goose. Even if they populated it with excellent assessments, people would still not use it. Whilst they've been trumpeting a failing storage box for assessments, teachers have been developing and using their own. I considered submitting one once, then decided I'd rather have my integrity.

7. The problem is that the assessments are now all too closely linked to the actual teaching - the NAR stuff isn't a quick test of whether or not pupils can utilise the skills they have learnt in new situations but whole units and schemes of work which you have to follow to assess one or two outcomes.