1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nap times for 8 week old

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by kittenmittens, Feb 7, 2011.

1. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

My LO sleeps v well at night- we do a bedtime routine (bath or wipe down, sleepsuit and grobag, bottle, book, bed) then she sleeps 9-4am and 4-8. I'm really pleased with this but her daytime sleeping is still quite hit-and-miss, is this normal for her age? I sort-of do the EASY pattern- eat, activity, sleep, you but keep playtime short eg 5-10 mins otherwise she gets overstimulated. After a quick play she'll sleep on me, in the pram, carseat or in her bouncy chair depending on where we are... if she doesn't need/want to sleep she'll gurgle away happily until she gets hungry again. (Unless for some reason she doesn't sleep enough and I end up with a cross overtired baby!)
    Should I start having more structured naptimes? I don't want to get into the mindset of forcing her to sleep when she doesn't need it. What did you do? x

2. kittenmittens

My LO sleeps v well at night- we do a bedtime routine (bath or wipe down, sleepsuit and grobag, bottle, book, bed) then she sleeps 9-4am and 4-8. I'm really pleased with this but her daytime sleeping is still quite hit-and-miss, is this normal for her age? I sort-of do the EASY pattern- eat, activity, sleep, you but keep playtime short eg 5-10 mins otherwise she gets overstimulated. After a quick play she'll sleep on me, in the pram, carseat or in her bouncy chair depending on where we are... if she doesn't need/want to sleep she'll gurgle away happily until she gets hungry again. (Unless for some reason she doesn't sleep enough and I end up with a cross overtired baby!)
    Should I start having more structured naptimes? I don't want to get into the mindset of forcing her to sleep when she doesn't need it. What did you do? x

3. kittenmittens

Also should I put her in the nursery in her moses basket (where she sleeps at night with me) for naps or keep her downstairs? I don't want her to get confused between night and day and then not sleep properly at night time!

4. I wouldn't worry too much at that age. My LO used to sleep wherever/whenever until about 12 weeks. Then he stopped sleeping and getting distracted more easily. I put him for nap 2 hours after last woke up and it works really well. My LO doesn't nap for long but has 3 naps a day and very rarely gets overtired. I think it's a good idea to take at least one nap a day in her basket to get into good habits. x