1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nanjing

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Samurai, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Thinking of going to Nanjing, but not sure about the pollution as I have a young baby and I have asthma.

Have read a few posts here and have Googled it, but was wondering if anyone lives there or has experience of living there and can tell me first hand how bad or good it is.

Cheers :)

2. mousethew

mousethew New commenter

The pollution in Nanjing is not as bad as other large Chinese cities - car-making is one of the main industries and I guess it doesn't produce as much pollution as others. It's a greener city than most Chinese cities too. However, that's like saying London is less crowded than Mexico City; London is still, however, crowded.

3. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

I've never been to Nanjing, but I've been living in Beijing since August and they say Beijing has the worst pollution in China (and possibly the world). If Nanjing is not as bad as here then I wouldn't necessarily let it stand in the way of a great opportunity.
    I may be living in a dream world but on a day to day basis the air quality isn't that big a factor in your life (strange as that may seem). We often have plenty of blue (ish) sky days in a row and truly nasty days are far enough apart that it doesn't really have a hugely negative impact on your quality of life.
    The only caveat would be your asthma, which you should discuss with your doctor (and consider how much your are affected now by environmental factors.

4. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

I lived in Shanghai for four years and found the pollution to be very managable (with two children being born there). I found Nanjing one of the most pleasant cities in China to spend time in and probably to work in as well - lots of greenery and a fairly unhurried pace of life (relatively speaking). The International School there has a good rep and it seemed like a nice place to live and work in. I always enjoyed visiting and always recommended it as a very good destination. Medical care has improved dramatically and the fast train to Shanghai only takes 2 1/2 hours or so - and probably much less today.

5. Many thanks all, much appreciated :)