1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Naming staff in minutes

Discussion in 'Governors' started by fairport, Mar 21, 2016.

1. fairport

fairport New commenter

I've just read the minutes of another GB and they have named a member of staff, listing their pay scale point. I always believed that this was not supposed to happen. Can anybody clarify if this is permitted. The minutes were published on the school website and were not marked confidential. Thanks.

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Increasingly as their powers have been extended many governing bodies find themselves dealing with more and more confidential issues and there should be an agreed protocol for dealing with such matters. These would include:
    • staff appointments and resignations
    • staff pay and conditions of service (eg the annual review of staff salaries in accordance with the schools pay policy)
    • staff discipline, capability and grievances
    • pupil discipline
    • pupils with social or special educational needs
    • some financial procedures (eg tenders/contracts)
    • parental and other complaints
    Seems to me that the Clerk is not fully appreciative of the implications of the Data Protection Act.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The information can be in Minutes but should be in the Confidential section and so not published on website or circulated other than to governors. Sounds like Clerk and Chair haven't heard of Data Protection Act..

4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

As Rott Weiler has said. At the end of each meeting our Clerk asks what should be confidential and that includes those that nomad has listed.