1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Naming party / day

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by sjw2007, Feb 6, 2011.

1. sjw2007

sjw2007 New commenter

We have decided against a christening and are having a naming celebration instead. Was just wondering if anyone else has done this and what they did. Also did you have supporting adults and if so what did you call them? So far I've seen them referred to as special adults, sponsors, mentors and guide parents (really don't like this as it is too much like a play on words for godparents).

2. sjw2007

sjw2007 New commenter

We have decided against a christening and are having a naming celebration instead. Was just wondering if anyone else has done this and what they did. Also did you have supporting adults and if so what did you call them? So far I've seen them referred to as special adults, sponsors, mentors and guide parents (really don't like this as it is too much like a play on words for godparents).

3. Am interested to read posts because am also planning to have one! :)

4. Well, my friend went for a 'pagan naming ceremony' where I think we had 4 supporting adults who were all called mentors. There was a whole ceremony which she downloaded from some website and there were candles to light and talk about the 4 guardians of the winds... can't really remember all the detailsas was about 7 years ago now. I do remember that we all had flower wreaths in our hair, which was a laugh when the police pulled me over and breathalysed me on the way home (hadn't had a drop, don't worry!).
    This might all be a bit too hippy like for some... the really nice parts were when people read poems out, and the mother explained why she had chosen the name for her child and the significance of it for the family. Oh, and a fantastic buffet afterwards always helps...

5. Hi,
    Just popped over from the pregnancy forum and saw this. When my friend had her little girl 2.5years ago, she didn't want a christening as they aren't religious at all. Instead, they opted for a naming ceremony. This was done in the registry office (was a bit like a wedding). There were 2 supporting adults and they, along with my friend and her hubby, had to say they will help guide and support the child through to adulthood. There was a poem read by my friend's mum and a reading by my friend's SIL. Afterwards, we all went to the village hall for a lovely buffet and cake and little Libby got lots of pressies!
    IMHO, it was just exactly like a christening, just not done in a church. It is a nice way to celebrate the birth of your child if you're not religious.

6. We are having a naming as part of our wedding ceremony in April, we thought it would be nice to symbolise the joining of our family. We have booked a humanist celebrant and he suggested a few names that people use like guide parents, chosen mentor and a few others, but the one we like was Odd Parent. It suits our family and the people we have chosen.