1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Naming classes after British Olympians - any great ideas?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Twinkles, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

Our Head has decided we should name our classes after British Olympians next year. So far, the suggestions are Hoy, Daley and Adlington but nobody wants to be Hoy Class (too much like Oi, Class! apparently) so i was wondering if anyone out there had any other suggestions please.
    Luckily, we only have 3 classes, but it would be really good to have lots to choose from. The local secondary has houses named after previous medallists - Gunnell, Holmes, Redgrave etc. but we'd like to choose someone who might be competing in 2012 so the children can follow their progress.
    Many thanks in advance

2. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

Our Head has decided we should name our classes after British Olympians next year. So far, the suggestions are Hoy, Daley and Adlington but nobody wants to be Hoy Class (too much like Oi, Class! apparently) so i was wondering if anyone out there had any other suggestions please.
    Luckily, we only have 3 classes, but it would be really good to have lots to choose from. The local secondary has houses named after previous medallists - Gunnell, Holmes, Redgrave etc. but we'd like to choose someone who might be competing in 2012 so the children can follow their progress.
    Many thanks in advance

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Ennis, Daley - yes, er.......

4. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Why not ask the children? Maybe they could research their favourite sports and find out about the people competing.
    The whole process could be a great learning activity as you could ask them to go into role and ask for others to vote for the ones they want. Great opportunities across the curriculum.
    Carrie [​IMG]

5. Coe, Ovett, Cram both 1500 /800m
    Edwards Triple Jump
    Jackson Hurdles
    Whitbread / Buckley Javelin

Holmes 1500m 800m

6. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Ah yes, the great Olympian Colin Jackson . . . . .

7. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I think you'll find the OP wanted olympians that are competing in 2012
    Jackson was / is an awesome athlete by the way. And Welsh!!

8. Milgod

Didn't say he wasn't a great athlete. Just indicated that he failed when it came to the Olympics.

9. Seconded!

10. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Are we not mentioning Linford Christie?????

How about Steve Backley, Roger Bannister, Roger Black, Sally Gunnell, Brendon Foster, Tom Daly, Kelly Holmes, Phillips Idowu, Denise Lewis, Gail Emms, Mo Farah, Beth Tweddle, Victoria Pendleton....

The list goes on.

11. Milgod

I know I might sound like a boring **** (nothing new there) but it's only because I love the Olympics so much.

Bannister was another 'great' who failed at the Olympics. Mo Farah obviously hasn't done anything in the Olympics yet (apart from failing) but he will perform better in 2012.

12. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

13. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

Great ideas - thanks.
    I'm currently watching the European Team Athletics to get some more ideas.....we seem to be doing quite well!

14. So you are only a great Olympian if you win? Look at the Olympic creed
    The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph, but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered, but to have fought well."
    Do we not want children to take part in activities if only winning counts some will give up before they really get chance to improve or develop enjoyment.
    Surely it's looking at how they get to the Olympics, the dedication to training, the commitment they make.
    How about Shelly Woods the Paralympian, Christine Ohuruogo 400m or look at the rowers or yachtsman

15. How about looking out for the new rising talents? More opportunity for kids to research and see the relevance to them (school routines/training sessions/sacrifices to be made?) Also might be greater chance to get first hand contact with these younger participants. Alicia Blagg - fantastic 14 year old diver from Leeds who has travelled far and wide competing with Tom Daly but also normal teenager. Great inspiration that the kids might just 'get'?

16. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

I agree with you all the way bluelilolil - that's why I was hoping to find some athletes from 2012 for the children to follow, rather than previous success stories, so they could find out about what it takes to represent your country and do your best.
    I have found quite a few people on the website previously suggested that sound interesting, but I still have to make sure they have names that 'work' - not sure how Tweddle Class or Wiggins Class would go down with my Head, let alone the children.

17. winter olympics - torvil and dean?

swimmer - wilkie, goodhew