1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Naming an island

Discussion in 'Geography' started by BigFrankEM, Dec 1, 2011.

1. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

What is the correct "geographical" name for the big island on the right in the British Isles ?

Just wondering.

Oh, by the way, can you prove that is the correct such name, as having taken the trouble to post, I wouldn´t want to be misled.

Many thanks.

2. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

What is the correct "geographical" name for the big island on the right in the British Isles ?

Just wondering.

Oh, by the way, can you prove that is the correct such name, as having taken the trouble to post, I wouldn´t want to be misled.

Many thanks.

3. I might be falling into an elephant trap here - as a non-geographer - but I'm pretty sure the name of the large island is "Britain" or "Great Britain".
    It is the largest single part of the state The United Kingdom and comprises England, Wales and Scotland. (I also think geographers would tend to say 'east' when looking at a map, rather than 'right'.) The fairly large island to the west is called Ireland and comprises The Republic of Ireland and the country/part of the United Kingdom known as Northern Ireland.
    The rest of the United Kingdom is made up of the remaining British Isles (I am not including Ireland as a British Isle as it is a shared island) plus UK overseas territories, eg the Falklands, Gibraltar etc.
    I can't prove it any more than you can prove your name is BigFrankEM, however - that's kind of the nature of names.

4. If one assumes that Wikipedia is correct then it is Great Britain:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_britain

5. As a geographer, I turn to my passport at times like these.
    In gold lettering on the front of my passport it says "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" - so therefore the 'main island' would be Great Britain.
    I use this method when I'm teaching Year 7 about the differences between England/GB/UK.