1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Names

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by claireISM, May 26, 2011.

1. hello, ask the children to make a place name out of paper and get them to write their name on it, or take a roll of stickers in with you and write the names on this then when you call their names ask them to stick it on themselves. It is very hard as when you are teaching supply you are seeing upto 60 children a day (working in one primary school in the morning and another in the afternoon) Good luck!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Perennial problem for us supplies. I hate it when you have class after class, without any idea of possible names from a class set list!
    Years ago I used to do a quick sketch of desks & ask the children for their names. One class (quite ingeniously I may add) gave me names & not silly names, but when I came to say the name & look at the 'class place' they would inevitably ignore me. As it turned out, they'd cleverly swapped names with others on the same tables!
    So now I try to ask them to have all their books equipmeny out at the start of the lesson & have a look at their names as I wander round.Doesn't work if they've 'not got their books Sir/Miss has them!'
    Some schools insist on a class register at the start so I try to look at the child as they answer & don't mark them till they've identified themselves !Can still do the name swap of course! so doesn't always work.
    So quick answer it's not easy, often trial & error, depending on the classes you have.