1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Names that cause teachers trouble

Discussion in 'Personal' started by deleted551, Sep 7, 2009.

1. We need a jaw dropped off your face icon.
    It is lucky he aint Slytherin.

2. Mordecai is a Jewish name. If you are Jewish.
    I marked a child's SATs paper this summer under the name 'Dark Storm' (first name).
    Incidentally, I noticed the more (ridiculous) alternative the spelling of a child's name, the tendency for a lower score on the SAT paper. CHildren with interesting spellings AND confected double-barrel surnames tended to do worst of all. Children with 'traditional' names tended to do well.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Surely there must be an MEd paper in this for someone?

4. My sister gave her two children traditional names - neither have been mentioned here. But my nephew has decided to be known by his initials AJ, and he is the type of child you wouldn't particularly want in your class.
    My own children also have traditional names not mentioned here. Their teachers have almost always been full of praise about their behaviour - but they're not always angels at home!!!

5. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I really can't believe all you lot here! Your comments are simply disgraceful and not befitting for teachers who have been entrusted with the welfare of the nation's children! You should simply not be joking about this. If you look carefully at the names you can see that you have named several clear groups that belong to specific races!
    And DON'T hide behind "we are only joking." Isn't that exactly what the bullies say when you attempt to pull them up in the playground?
    Disgraceful and beneath contempt. Act like the professionals you are supposed to be, for God's sake!!

6. I just read this post out to my 20 yr old son. He thought it was a really cool name, and would give the child a 'leg up' in the world. So possibly it's just an age thing.

7. Professor Dumbledore

Professor Dumbledore New commenter

Why do you think this is relevant? Has anyone here criticised a race? Get a grip.

8. Picks self off floor re "jedi Knight".

Had a lovely individual pair once called Skye (a boy) and his brother was ""Blue". Homeschooled prior to their arrival at OldBag Towers. Homeschooled again after a discussion with the SMT around appropriate placement of creative, individuals who find systems challenging. We might not fully have been flexible enough to meet their needs.

9. Fergi

Fergi New commenter

Of course its racist! It may not be overt, but it is certainly displaying an underlying racism because people are reacting to the personalities of the bearers of the names. If you can not see that it is racist, you need to examine your own appreciation of what is racist.

TCSC47 is quite right in pointing out how foolish, thoughtless and unprofessional this discussion is.

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Thanks for that fergi. Do you have red hair by any chance?

11. I always expect a child with numbers in their name to be robotically right on, c3po and r2d2 are always causing trouble...
    Bloody androids are all the same .

12. Fergi

Fergi New commenter

Actually, yes.

13. Professor Dumbledore

Professor Dumbledore New commenter

Yes, TCSC47 and you do seem to share the same views. Lucky you've popped up to support them!
    Can you not see how crazy that is? If I told you I had a horrible little vile pupil called (to rob a previously used example) Mordecai in my class. Mordecai happens to be Jewish. Am I moaning about him because he disrupts my lesson every five minutes, or becasue of his heritage?
    Why am I arguing this, it's insane,,,

14. Fergi

Fergi New commenter

It is the groupings of the names. Just step back and count up the names and see which ones feature the most.

15. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

If you had done this, please share your findings.

No point in us all doing the same work.

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

So stereotyping by name works then?

17. Have you ever had one of those Fergi's in your class? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeessh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Down under some of us also indulge in a bit of 'looks like trouble' comments while looking at our class lists and I have to confess that my accuracy rate has gone up every year to be well in the 90s now. Two local red flags include Jai and Tye. A J name and ??????????????? what are the origins of Tye??

18. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I'm quite interested in the assortment of Aarons there are. Aaron, Aron, Arun, Arrun. And when did the pronunciation change from air-on to ar-un? I've had a bit of bother with a girl called Paris and boys called Mason and Deane. No Chardonnay in this neck of the woods yet, but have had a couple of Chanel/Chanelles and a Stan-Lee. We have had Cain, Kane and Kayne.

19. At a slight tangent.
    Bill Lear who invented the Lear jet called his daughter ...........Shanda.
    Now I was just googling on the www, to confirm this was not my imagination when I found that there was a similary named female on face book (in the USA naturally) called .... wait for it....
    Crystal Shanda Lear
    That must have livened up the register.

20. Did you know that in the dictionary the word Jake means "simpleton"? Why would you call your son that?