1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Names that cause teachers trouble

Discussion in 'Personal' started by deleted551, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Exactly Smoothnewt!
    Incidentally I have taught 3 'Kevin Clarkes' in my career and each one has been a perfect pain in the ar5e. Interesting as my maiden name was/is 'Clarke'! Can't be accused of prejudice there!

2. I'm currently struggling with the name of a new girl in class who's name is Chonta - apparently it's pronounced Shantay. I keep wanting to say it as it's spelt. On the flip side we've had some terrific names from central africa over the last few years - Blessings - Memory - and I came across a guy from Nigeria recently called Bonus!

3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

That reminds me of an African guy who received his degree at the same ceremony as me: his name was "God Knows".
    [​IMG]

4. Smoothnewt, you have eloquently expressed my thoughts.
    How come five minutes into a first lesson with a new bright Year 7 class I had identified the Ryans, Jacks and Zacs? Next lesson I distinguished the two Toms, Fleur, Lydia etc but not because they were being cocky/naughty.
    Now I remember that class, it contained the first naughty David I have taught. Chica: you will have to think of a third name for your newborn!

5. That's lovely!! I've really enjoyed reading these posts! You can't help but feel sorry for those kids whose parents saddle them with names that are bound to cause problems. My partner works with someone whose wife recently had a child at her school with the surname Knight. Anyone like to guess what his first name was/is?

6. Sorry! Forgot to include the quote to which my 'That's lovely!' refers. (I'm new to this! LOL)

7. So what was his first name?

8. Nope! That was one of my guesses too.

9. smoothnewt

Starry?
    Old Year's?
    Good?

10. Are you ready for this?

Jedi!!

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Pistol?

12. smoothnewt

That's not kind. [​IMG]

13. Couldn't agree more Smoothnewt! What WERE his parents thinking of?!!

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Perhaps they were 'forced' into it?

15. Or was he born on May the Fourth?

16. Or April 1st?

17. mrswallow

mrswallow Occasional commenter

Josh / Joshua tend to give me problems, along with Nathan/ Nathaniel. Has some-one mentioned Shelby yet? Kayleigh in all its varient spellings. I once had, I think, four girls called Kayleigh on my timetable and none of them splet their name the same and all of them were troublesome.

Oh, and an apology to any Barrys out there, but are any of you well adjusted?

18. All the names mentioned here give me nightmares. Any boy beginning with J or L - Liam, Leon, Lewis, Laurence, Luke, Lion (pronounced Leon but parents couldn't spell) makes me shake. James was OK till this year, but what a xxxx this one is ...supercilious, bone idle, carelss with other children's/ school property and very provocative if not carefully placed.
    Never stop talking? Caitlyn, Eleanor, Jo,
    I'm waiting to see what little Griffindor will be like. He's cute at 3 but that may not last.

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Jades usually cause problems as well.