1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Names that cause teachers trouble

Discussion in 'Personal' started by deleted551, Sep 7, 2009.

1. I've taught a number of surprisingly dodgy 'Bens'.........even here at Hogwarts!

2. thebigonion

thebigonion New commenter

For some inexplicable reason, a number of parents (locked solidly in the lower socioeconomic echelons) here in the hinterlands of South East London have decided that the perfect name to give their son is Cain. Or Kane.
    I have met a solid half dozen of these kids, and without exception, they are each the epitome of villainy, nastiness and disruptiveness.
    Although the worst was a kid I taught in year 7; a child of indeterminate gender named Tuesday.

3. I've got 4 Ben's and 1 Benn on the books at the moment. All of whom are causing enormous difficulties!

4. casper

casper New commenter

Many years ago when my mum was teaching in a primary school she had a child arrrive from south america. It was not written in this way, but his name was Jesus Christ, caused a bit of a problem in a catholic primary school.

5. I like the name Ben, but, on reflection, the vast majority of those I have taught have been decidely 'dodgy'.

6. Decidedly, even.

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Where his parents Mr and Mrs Cloth?

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

My grandson is called Liam and he is a lovely well behaved lad at the moment!

9. Fergi

Fergi New commenter

Oh Dear!
    I'm afraid I'm going to be the PC police here today. Do people here, not realise what they are doing? Sterotyping children is first of all wrong! Even if in jest. That's how all bigots try to wriggle away with it.
    Secondly you are also on the edge of being racist. The names mentioned here can easily be identified back to racial identities.
    What sort of image are you giving to people about our professional demeanour, and what sort of example are you setting?

10. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

**Makes note in diary: Blazer needs a blow at the back of the head next time we meet**

11. KirkDouglas

KirkDouglas New commenter

Somali kids can be a right pain in general because of their often
    appalling history before becoming a refugee and the damage done to their parents, a lot of Pakistani parents
    are of peasant stock, education is not valued and Islam is a poorly
    understood rote to them, their kids often underperform, Indian kids
    are more often motivated due the middle-classness of their parents, the fat
    kids are often working class, names chosen by chavs are different, so are their children.
    To pretend that all sections of society are interchangeable is blinkered and unintelligent.
    To judge a child by its name is inevitable and often wrong.

12. Caught a 'Ben' smoking today. Predictable!

13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Almost correct, wrong location!

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Ben, probably short for Benson (and hedges)

15. LOL! [​IMG]

16. Regan hate that spiteful name x

17. From my experience, he has a 50:50 chance of staying lovely.

18. I thought Mumsnet would turn up sooner or later.

19. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Just to redress the balance here, I have a Liam and a Connor who sit next to each other in my A2 French class. Liam is applying to Cambridge and Connor is a hardworking poppet!
    [​IMG]

20. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Give us some credit! We're just having a joke. None of us would prejudge a child by its name, but our experience is that many live down to the unfortunate expectations of that name. That's a fact. Don't be so wet!