1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Names that cause teachers trouble

Discussion in 'Personal' started by deleted551, Sep 7, 2009.

1. In Romania, Ioana is Joanna, J is pronounced as I. I have also seen children with certain names that frighten me before i meet them, just because of the name. my worst is Max! i agree with many of the others you have listed, although i had to laugh out loud at two who were stated to be thick as a post and dressed as a tart. these are the names of two of my colleagues who could easily fit this description. LOL

2. The Alfie in my class (only the second in over 30 years of teaching) is a model pupil. However I have never yet had a Daniel who knows how to behave - some of them have been lovely children but so difficult to teach. I have two Daniels in my present class and they are already living up to their predecessors reputations!!
    Girls aren't quite so bad but Keoni (KiKi)is definitely heading for the top of the list!

3. In my previous school I taught siblings, both called Alan....Alan Jorge and Alan Jaykke.The former was not pronounced HORHAYas in the brazilian, but George. They were both named after their Dad....I also taught boys named Adrian, Ben and Ken...because they went A,B,C-yes Ken with a K . The mother has got learning difficulty, as she had been to the school herself not too long before...

4. Well..... now I have a Louis.

Nothing unusual there you might think.

Well, no not really!

Until you hear his parents refer to him as Lewis!

?????

5. I have heard of this before.....i weep.

6. I'm afraid I giggled!

7. You tinker! Currently I have an Archie, with brothers Ronnie and Vinnie " all the "i" sounds" says Mum...( sounds like eastend gangsters, thinks I). I have to guard myself against a bit of snobbishness......but shudder when I see the creative spellings, and the " different" names, that are all the same. i used to love the names Matilda and Madeleine.......but no longer.

8. I have taught Jay, AJ and Ay-Jay, and they have all been odd.

What makes parents give children stupid bloody names!?

Oh yes I remember....

.....it's because they are stupid bloody parents.

How about a naming convention like they have in Iceland?

John

While we are on the subject I have had problems with anyone named after a football player and my wife (who teaches high school) says that any Sam (be it Samuel or Samantha) has always been a ***!

9. That will be like Louis (pronounced Lewis) Armstrong I would imagine.

I've yet to teach a Lewis who could find a bum in a field of bums (being polite here!).
    John

10. There is a child out ther (who is probably 20 something by now) who was named after the entire West Ham football team, including the subs, on the weekend after he was born! Can you imagine the passport application form!

11. This whole thread is just about predjudice from teachers who dont like working class children, its not acceptable to admit to that openly but as you can see from the quote above the names that all of these jolly witty people are sneering at are by and large popular with working class communities.
    And yes it's true that working class children are on the whole more demanding but the first thing that you have to do when you are working with any ethnic or social group is to drive out of your mind any negative assumptions that you might have about these children so that you can connect with each child's unique individuality and start with a level playing field in terms of what you expect from them.
    Noticing naughty names certianly wont help you to do that.
    altarego's closing remarks are very telling, the Hogwarts children are solidly middle class, which is fine but I can assure you from my experiences of teaching in a private school where we have lots of Hugos Archies and Anguses these names can be just a troublesum as any of the Jakes or Kaylieghs that I have taught.

12. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

i thought that was a tricky maths problem ....

13. Keep your hair on, Dick.

14. Oh dear, that is what my nephew is insisting that he is called! AJ are his initials and he wants to be known by them, rather than by the perfectly good name that his parents gave him. I, for one, call him by his given name and not by his initials.
    And yes, I would say that he can be challenging!

15. THAT is probably the most directly sneering post anyone has made on this thread!
    But then again, as teachers (lecturers) we are specifically banned from having a sense of humour as we will cause offence and we must be seen to be above reproach!
    I am sure that the GTC (or whatever) has a rule.......

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Actually you will probably find that the parents of these children are not working class as most don't work!

17. At 48 its just too late
    Its grey and thinning
    Cause time wont wait
    I see the sink with threads from my balding pate
    While smiling at my middle age-ed fate
    lol

18. Middle class they most certainly are NOT! Pupils at Hogwarts were not born with a silver spoon in their mouths.....more like the whole canteen of cutlery! Kind of upper, upper class but still a few stupid names. That said they really aren't troublesome at all I have to say....something to do with being brought up to understand the meanings of the words 'no' and 'respect'.

19. Exactly my point earlier on: Parents who can't spell and/or kids who correct your pronounciation of their name. At least they didn't put an 'e' at the end!!

20. Oh pete's sakes !! with comments like that I rest my case.