1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Names that cause teachers trouble

Discussion in 'Personal' started by deleted551, Sep 7, 2009.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

[​IMG]

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We had our open evening last night for prospective pupils. I always ask the girls names before letting them have a go at the experiements. We had an Emily, lovely girl who thanked me after letting her do a flame test, and a Kacee who tried to nick some of the equipment. And yes, I know the spelling because we hand out little certificates when they complete the practical and we put their names on them!

(I now have a vision of Gary spontaineously combusting)!

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I've just realised that Gary is TES's first Reverse Troll. He arrives in here as a regular troll and starts flaming all and sundrie then, lost in his own world of vitriol he forgets that he is supposed to be upsetting us and becomes upset himself, responding in increasingly ridiculous ways to our posts! Well done Gary, you are a trailblazer!

4. Samjam1

Samjam1 New commenter

I'm getting quite fond of him.
    Specially since Altarego is OK.
    Morning Gazza!

5. I expect he's getting quite fond of you too Samjam having spent a few hours yesterday in your cleavage! [​IMG] (.)(.)

6. Does anyone think gary actually believes any of what he writes?

7. I'm looking forward to the play. I wonder who will playthe part of me? I fancy Rowan Atkinson, whose demonstration of how to take a register should be a compulsory part of all teacher training.

8. In my experience you have to watch out for the 'Country and Western' brigade! If a kid rejoices in the name Dane, Duane, Wayne, Shane and , for the first time this term, a girl called Cody, look out! As with the Irish Wannabes, the Yankee Wannabes need to discover their true identity, and be happy with it.

9. Another one of Gazza's (note my correct use of the apostrophe!) random and incorrect apostrophes 'guru's'
    Please take some lessons on punctuation Gazza...it won't be long before the spelling and grammar police here on TES launch a vitriolic attack on you....and we don't want vitriolic attacks on posters on here do we now? [​IMG]

10. thebigonion

thebigonion New commenter

I seem to remember him stating that they were full of forbearance for putting up with him being such a muppet. As for what they thought of him - well, I used to work with his form tutor (and a whole bunch of his old teachers, actually at his old school...) and the general view was that they thought of him as a 'comedian' - had to be centre of attention and so on.
    I personally have never taught a Russel, or a Russell, so am not in a position to judge...

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Imagine if you had a child called Jack Russell, bad on so many levels![​IMG]

12. thebigonion

I know - being named after a wicket keeper... The SHAME!
    Did any other teachers have a nightmare choosing names for their kids? When the Monkey Boy arrived, we had an absolute mare - well, I did anyway. Every name the current Mrs Onion suggested threw up unwanted reminiscences.
    He now has a name that I have never taught. Even if it's a 'J' name. AND, for the recored, my brother (who has a 'J' name) was the goody-goody hard working one; I was the one excluded over 20 times...
    Bucks that trend.

13. I must also be depraved - I thought it had something to do with rectums as well! When I was in school no-one knew the word 'anorexic.'
    Any made-up names or 'way-out' spellings like Jorden, Jayven, Keelan, Kayden, Kaylee, Karleigh, Mardee, Grumpeigh or Nasteigh are bound to belong to difficult kids.
    Also Marcus, for some reason. Not sure why.

14. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

ah, i see the project continues ...

welcome to TES, 'floradog'

15. What we need is a comparison of Somerset House, school roll, university attendance, and prisoner records. I have a feeling that the prisons will be full of simple or randomly lettered names and Oxbridge is crammed with Floras and Adams.

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

No sh !t sherlock!

17. thebigonion

I thought prisons were full of tatooed men called 'Butch' or 'Spike' or occasionally 'Baby Face'.
    Or is that just too many films?

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I recall at my previous school we saw in the paper that a former pupil had been locked away for serious fruad involving his employer! The school was pleased as it was our first 'white collar' crime!

When I was at school us younger lads admired greatly an older lad called John Taylor. Captain of first XI cricket, first XV Rugby, Deputy Head boy etc etc. Better known these days as Lord Taylor of Warwick! See another name begining with J!

19. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

John seems ok - it's the variants who seem to be trouble. The Jacks and Jakes of this world.

20. Actually, I find children with names beginning with that hard 'k' or 'c' sound are the worst - Kyle, Curtis, Kray, Keeley. They also seem to be the children with parents who meet them at the school gate with double kebab and chips for tea!