1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Names that cause teachers trouble

Discussion in 'Personal' started by deleted551, Sep 7, 2009.

1. How is Jason 'obviously' a problem name? The ones I've known are fine.

2. He'll probably be the best part of 40 by now. I hope he's changed his name!

I can't help thinking that parents who can't even be bothered to give their kids a proper name ought to be referred to social services.....!

3. The unfortunate part of the Annas saga is that if one of the Annas had just told me what an 'ana' was the problem would never have escalated. However they adopted the default position of KS4 girls and sulked and assumed I had randomly decided to insult them.
    So be warned or you too could completely inadvertently insult your students.

4. Im guessin its pronounced lee-sha?

5. Never met a well behaved Jordan. However I've had a good few great Connors. I agree with the name Rhys/Reece and let's not forget Owens...complete pains in the ****

6. Samjam1

Samjam1 New commenter

Nothing wrong with Sam! So long as it's not just Sam!

7. This year I have a 'Chardonnay' - give me strength!

8. I'd be tempted to give you a corkscrew! [​IMG]

9. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Jordan, Josh, Jack (sorry Chica!), Jake VERY much so, Shane, Aar(r)on, Liam; Shannon, Kayleigh, Leah, Keira/Kyra, Chloe, Jessica and any made up name, including ones using just initials, are all naughty!
    Since becoming a teacher I've encountered so many dodgy names that if I ever had any of my own it could be a real minefield to name them...

10. I'd be tempted to give you a corkscrew! [​IMG]

11. Anyone with a stupid name is bound to be trouble AND anyone who has a shortened or familiar name as their full name. So, anyone called Sam not Samuel, Jack not John, Tom not Thomas - you get the picture - is likely to be a problem.

12. All babies are lovely at 12 weeks, it's when they get to secondary school and have spent all those years competing for top dog Jack position that they become unbearable unless sensible parents like yourselves have spent 11 years putting them right! I have known a couple of thoroughly decent Jacks but they had lovely parents.
    Congratulations on the birth of your son. Does he have a reserve name you can use if the majority of his class turn out to be horrible Jacks?? [​IMG]

13. Samjam1

Samjam1 New commenter

Agreed!

14. Marcia Blaine

Marcia Blaine New commenter

Connor, Reese, Kyle, Sean, Kevin, Ryan, Liam, Owen. Interesting that an empirical thread throws up Celtic names more than any other single group (I'm a Scot, by the way)
    Anyone read the chapter in "Freakonomics" about "black" names and life prospects? It's really interesting.
    Names of recent shalabrities also seem to be some sort of indicator. Remember Kylies and Britneys?
    I reckon we should be getting some Beyonces, Lilys, Amys and Siennas any time now.

15. You are so right!
    On a different tack, I used to get really cross when a child told me 'Miss, you have spelled my name wrong.' 'No, on the contrary, your mother couldn't spell your name. '

16. Samjam1

Samjam1 New commenter

LOL! I had a Raychelle once. Pronounced Rachael. Or Rachel.

17. Was going to say earlier that any Scott who was not Scottish could be a problem. The one genuine Scott I taught who turned up to his prom in his kilt was intelligent and lovely. Other Scotts I taught ranged from naughty but nice to pass me the bullet.

18. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Oh, and Keiren. Or Kieren. I have kids who spell it both ways and can never remember which way is used by whom. Furthermore I'm usually writing it on a detention/warning list!! I also have several Connors and a Conner (which looks to me like a verb derivative, and not very flattering to him... [​IMG])
    True about the Celtic names, which annoys me!

19. Heh...both my brothers' names have been mentioned here in almost every single post. One is far from being naughty - quiet and thoughtful and well respected by his peers since he was quite young (God knows why - we never get a word out of him) - the other is a cheeky little monkey, wicked sense of humour but I'd hate to teach him, he'd drive me demented. Identical upbringings and totally different!
    I'm trying to think back over who were my troublesomes - Billys, Scotts and Owens spring to mind!

20. Or Keiran.
    Pains the lot of them.