1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Names that cause teachers trouble

Discussion in 'Personal' started by deleted551, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Interesting articles here (ok yes, I know it's the Daily Mail so no shouting please!!!).
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1211719/Why-teachers-single-pupils-called-Callum-Chelsea-Connor-Jack-troublemakers.html
    We all know certain names usually spell 'trouble' but I was surprised to find 'Jack' on this list.
    In my experience Kevin, Wayne, Ryan (and even Ryanne...yes, a girl!) are generally troublesome boys and for girls it tends to be Shelly\Shelby, Charlene, Kayleigh and any of the stooopid made up names.
    Mind you, none of these feature at Hogwarts where we have Hugo, Archie, Violet, Angus, Miranda et al! [​IMG]

2. In my experience most Jacks are trouble. In fact any boy with a name beginning in J - with the possible exceptions of John, James or Jonathan - has the potential to be a pain. Jordan, Jamie, Johnny etc But the worst of all is Jake. In our exclusion unit one day were 4 boys from different year groups all called Jake!!
    Most Ryans, Connors, Liams especially if they have no Irish connection.
    Oh, and don't get me started on Zacs!!
    My friend in a different school and I used to look at the names in Yr 7 and predict what sets they would be in. We were usually right!
    We had brothers, Horace and Albert. Albert was expelled in Year7 first term.

3. I can agree here as I once 'taught' a boy called J . Yes, just 'J'. I use the word 'taught' sparingly as it was more a containment exercise.
    Anyway, his parents named him 'J' so he could choose his own name when old enough......provided it began with 'J' I guess.
    He, unfortunately, came into school most days, did nothing (wouldn't even write his name on an exercise book) and just disrupted other pupils. I was told to be careful how I challenged him as he was known to bite! Anyway, once I asked him why he bothered to come to school at all and he replied, rather articulately, that he comes to school and does nothing as that gets both him and his parents in less trouble than if he actually truanted. Couldn't really argue that one!

4. I remember an experienced teacher telling me early in my career that pupils with names from Greek myths would be well behaved - with the obvious exception of Jason!

5. Anna. Why? Because I once had a class with 2 Annas who were friends and sat next to one another. I am sure that you can imagine the consequences of addressing them in the plural. Unfortunately I had no idea of its conotation, until there was parental involvement that is.

6. I've been sitting here, muttering "Annas" to myself for ages - but I still don't get it! What are the connotations?

7. Well you see that is what I did and what the DH did too. It was n't til I shared by incomprehension with a colleague that I found out. Ana is short for anorexic. I have to say neither Anna looked like a likely sufferer, but there you go.

8. I got my first look at our new intake today and leaving aside the charming African Felicitation and Harmonious, and the other African 30 yrs out of date Hilda and Doreen, we also have a "J" (where did that spring from I wonder), a Lydijeh (Lydia to me and thee), a Sussie, and I kid you not, a Razor. The boy's given name, the name his parents chose as they looked into his newborn baby face, is Razor. No relation to the Ruddocks.
    I don't wish to give a dog a bad name but.......

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I don't think I've met a Damien who does not have a touch of devil's-spawn about him.
    And I once taught a young lass with the unfortunate surname of Drakulic (Polish I guess?) and ths was compounded by the dental problem she had....one of her front incisors was long and pointed and was always cleary visible - even with her mouth shut, the tooth poked down over her bottom lip! I hated having to use her full name because I was soooo tempted to use what was surely her true vampiric surname!
    And I've mentioned this one before, but it still makes me smile, and that was the young girl whose name was Biggie (Short for Birgit/Brigitte) Spender!

10. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Today it was Reiss (pron. Rhys).
    Generally it's any Alfie in a class. Never met a well-behaved one yet.

11. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I'm praying I never come across a naughty Thomas, since I love the name and have vowed to have it should I have a son. It's my mum's maiden name and my dad's middle name.
    We have a Leoighsa. Go on, have a guess how it's pronounced....

12. Lisa?

13. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Louisa?
    [​IMG]

14. I've never come across a nice Kyle, Lewis or Liam - I've got 4 Liams in one class, all horrid, but it makes reprimanding them easy! Connor is also a major problem, as is Aaron, and the more Sams I meet the more they seem to be developing into one.
    I don't seem to have the same problem with girls names, certain individual girls yes, but not a particular name...except maybe Caitlin and Kayleigh...I seem to be conjouring up mainly negative images of pupils with those names!

15. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Oh no, we've called our baby boy Jack! He's only 12 weeks old and a really lovely little boy [​IMG] so I hope he doesn't end up being trouble!!
    My husband also has a name that starts with J. He was probably a pain in the ar*e at school though! His mum caught him skiving to go fishing once! Actually, that would be good if the annoying kids did that.
    I find that all Jordans are really badly behaved, as are Ryans, Reeces, Connors, Chloes, Michaelas and Frankies (Francesca).

16. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

If it's any consolation Chica, all the Jacks I've taught have always been cheeky but adorable types, never nasty.

17. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

One of my colleagues was saying that Jacks are usually cheeky but clever!
    Any pupils with silly made-up names like Chanel are usually badly behaved. I'm so glad i'm on maternity leave at the moment and don't have to worry about this [​IMG]

18. I thought the same...LOL! [​IMG]

19. I had a similar thing with a student called BJ. I sniggered for AGES......

20. Lol, how old was poor BJ?
    I didn't get the Anna-reference either... but surely just 'Anna' is just as much of a reference to anorexia as Annas?- after all the websites are called pro-ana not pro-annas?

Anyway, Jordan is an evil name. There are a certain number of 'modern' names, like Blake, Jaydon/kaydon/haydon and they all seem to be evil.
    Jack, I like all the Jacks I have taught. Worry not Chica!